Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: having to give formula

Default having to give formula

for working moms or exclusive pumpers, if you do not have enough milk pumped for your lo, is it better to keep what they are getting consistant? such as always give x amount of bottles per day with formula or of formula or just suppl as needed? i am returning to work friday and am getting nervous at the thought of getting so many bottles ready ahead of time.
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

Default Re: having to give formula

When we got home from the hospital we were supplementing as needed and my dd was fine with that. However, she has had just Bm, for so long I am a little scared as well for when I return to work on 12/10/2007.

Back to the point...I think supplementing as needed is okay as long as your lo is not a picky eater.

wE JUST SUPPLEMENT AS NEEDED. i LEAVE FORMULA AT THE DAYCARE, FOR THE JUST IN CASE. hE hAS MAYBE ONE BOTTLE OF FORMULA A WEEK. LEAVING THEM REALLY SUCKS THOUGH

This is hard to explain so maybe someone else will chime in but bm is more easily digested so babies eat less but eat more often. Formula is not easily digestible and babies eat more formula but go longer in between feedings. This is why bf babies usually eat only a few ounces more frequently and ff babies eat like 6-8 ounces. So, it is kind of a slippery slope when you start introducing formula because it can start interfering with bm consumption, although many moms do it. Here is a great site to check out:

http://www.workandpump.com/

especially this page:
    http://www.workandpump.com/nothing.h..._supplementing
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)