Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1st time mum problem w baby tugging&fore/hindmilk question

Default 1st time mum problem w baby tugging&fore/hindmilk question

Hi, I am a first time mum and need HELP on these questions. Please advise as I am quite lost!

When my baby (20 days old) is on my left breast especially, he sometimes tugs at it aggressively, all the while making grunting and growling noises, like a little lion! I don't know if he does that when he has emptied that breast and wasn't getting enough?? When I squeeze on it, milk still comes out, but maybe not as much.

And, how do I know when the baby is getting enough fore/hind milk? My husband read somewhere that when the poo is bright yellow, baby is getting enough hind milk, and when it is slightly greenish, baby is getting too much fore milk. Is that really true? Because no matter how long I let him feed on each breast, that doesn't seem to have any bearings on the colour of his poo. HELP!!!

How long does it take before the hindmilk comes in? And how do I know if the breast has been emptied??? He usually falls asleep after about 20 minutes on one breast, and sometimes he awakens 10 minutes later to feed again. Should I offer him the same breast or switch?

I have been having sore breasts and sore nipples because of his aggressive tugging and pulling, and also because I try to let him empty one breast at a time, but don't know if I am letting him latch on too long on each breast.

HELP!!!

Default Re: 1st time mum problem w baby tugging&fore/hindmilk question

The best way to go is usually to follow your baby's cues. let him nurse on each side as long as he wants. I ususally made my dd nurse on both sides, as if she drank from just one the other would feel engorged and uncomfortable.
    I wouldnt worry about the amounts too much: the best way to tell if a baby is nursing enough is the wet diapers - you should be changing more than 6 wet diapers (more if they're washable cloth diapers) each day, and at least one poopy diaper (though babies can go for several days without a poop).
    if you have sore nipples, check your baby's latch, the whole of the nipple should be deep in his mouth.
    If you think one breast is emptied, offer the other, it might help.
    about the pulling, I dont know, but perhaps holding his hands or giving him something nice to pull on, like wear a beaded necklace might help.

Quote Originally Posted by dorothy
    And, how do I know when the baby is getting enough fore/hind milk? My husband read somewhere that when the poo is bright yellow, baby is getting enough hind milk, and when it is slightly greenish, baby is getting too much fore milk. Is that really true? Because no matter how long I let him feed on each breast, that doesn't seem to have any bearings on the colour of his poo. HELP!!!

How long does it take before the hindmilk comes in? And how do I know if the breast has been emptied??? He usually falls asleep after about 20 minutes on one breast, and sometimes he awakens 10 minutes later to feed again. Should I offer him the same breast or switch?

I have been having sore breasts and sore nipples because of his aggressive tugging and pulling, and also because I try to let him empty one breast at a time, but don't know if I am letting him latch on too long on each breast.

HELP!!!
    Hey there, Congrats on your new baby. The first few weeks of BF'ing can be challenging to say the least. In your mind you think this thing should be a cinch, but there really is a learning curve for both Mom & baby so relax and rest assured that as time goes on things will get so much better.
    As for the foremilk/hindmilk question, just make sure that you are allowing DS to finish the 1st breast before offering the second. If you switch back & forth a lot during the feeding(like I did @ first), then he may not get enough hindmilk. The foremilk is thin, the hindmilk is creamy & full of the fat the baby needs to gain weight. The foremilk is also full of lactose so if they get too much of that then it can cause gassiness & green poops. That's when I knew something was different w/my son is when I changed his diapers & the poops went from yellow & seedy to green & watery w/just a little amt of seeds. As for when the hindmilk comes in, Quakermomma from this website explained it like this to me when I had the same question, it's not like there is a switch that turns the foremilk off & the hindmilk on, it's a gradual process that as the breast is emptied the hindmilk begins to flow along with the foremilk. So I just started making sure DS was at least emptying one breast w/each nursing & then I would start him on the other one at the next nursing. How to tell if its empty---I just go be feel. If it feels soft & almost a little mushy then I'm satisfied it's empty enough. Seems to be working for us this way. His green poops went away completely after about a week of this. His tugging on your nipples, I assume you mean w/his mouth as he's sucking, my DS does the same thing, and now that he can move his hands in the general direction he wants to, he's added his hands in with the mix. Sometimes I think he does it when he's finished nursing & then other times I think he does it when he's tired. I just try to make sure to keep him on the first breast until I am sure it's emptied. Babies can sometimes be very efficient nursers--especially if they were full term or over. My DS finishes a nursing session in about 20 minutes most of the time, and he's been like that since birth. He was 13 days past EDD.

Anway, hope all this helps. Check out the FAQ's on this website. There is excellent material on foremilk/hindmilk plus a thousand other things you may have questions about.
    p.s. nurse him as often as he wants, at least once every 2.5 to 3 hrs. Breastmilk can be completly digested in 90 minutes. Nursing often also builds up a good supply of milk & gives you & the baby plenty of practice.

Write back with anymore questions. Good Luck w/your precious new baby.

Thanks for your reply! The baby's poo was bright yellow yesterday sometime after I posted I just don't really know for sure what i was doing right!

I do have another question: after the baby has had his 10-20 minute fill, he likes to just hang on and keep on sucking till he falls asleep. Is it ok to let him do that? Because my midwife says, don't encourage comfort sucking, but other places tell me that I should let him suck till he is ready to unlatch himself.

Though he seems to be just comfort sucking, I do see his jaws working, hear the occasional swallowing, and see the milk-wetness around his lips.

Comfort sucking isnt a disaster. some people say its good, while others dont. its a personal thing.
    If he is actually getting a little milk from this, as you observed, then it's probably good for him - it means that he's getting more of the rich hind milk that he needs.
    At the age of just 3 weeks, he will be starting a growth spurt soon and will possibly want to nurse around the clock for a little while.
    Personally, I think its a good idea to let him nurse on demand - as much as he likes for as long as he likes when he likes, but it's up to you. Keep in mind that each baby eats at his own pace, and he may just prefer to slowly ruminate over the 'dessert'. If you really find it odious to "be a pacifier", then take him off the breast if you see that he's really not eating anymore and just comfort sucking, but I believe that comfort is vital to a baby's emotional well-being and what's more, this extra sucking will ensure that you have a great milk supply.