Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help- Pumping and Baby very fussy/gassy/green poops

Default Help- Pumping and Baby very fussy/gassy/green poops

I returned to work three weeks ago and have been pumping milk for my 3 month old. He is very fussy after bottle feeding and his poop has changed from several daily mustard-colored stools, to stools every 4-5 days that are giant and dark green and stink like the devil. He is gassy all the time and he scruntches up and cries a ton during the day. He's already on Prevacid for reflux- and we give mylicon too- but this seems to be a newer problem. Is it possible I am not getting enough hindmilk when I pump? How do I know? I have a pump-in-style and always feel like I am not getting enough (I have to squeeze at my breasts while pumping and really work at them). With the suction up too high though- I bleed (I have small nipples and very light skin). The milk looks thin and has a very thin layer of fat when it cools. Suggestions?

As a side note- we had thrush for the first two months (so sorry to anyone who goes through that), and he was always fussy- but it is the poop and the fact that it appears to be the bottle fed milk that's the problem that has me wondering if it is a pumping issue.

Help?

Default Re: Help- Pumping and Baby very fussy/gassy/green poops

My son's poop turned green when he started rejecting my milk (he is 5 1/2 months). Stinky stuff. I read it is a problem with an inbalance with the formilk and hindmilk. Unfortunately, my son refuses to drink the pumped milk, so I am now facing having to formula feed.

I sincerely hope this is a different issue for you. I just wanted to share my experience. Good luck!

Default Re: Help- Pumping and Baby very fussy/gassy/green poops

Sounds like too much foremilk. Does all of the milk you pump look thin like that? I've always mixed all the milk I pump for the day together to make sure a given bottle doesn't get chocked full of foremilk. You can also try pumping 1oz out, then switching bottles to pump the rest separate and see if that looks better. Have you tried turning the pump off and on to get another let-down while you're pumping?