Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeding for hours

Default feeding for hours

my little girl just turned 6 weeks old she used to eat about 8 minutes on one side and be satisified for 3-4 hours. Since yesterday she is eating 15 minutes on both sides every hour and seems unsatisfied. Is this a growth spurt?
    She is hardly sleeping! she seems gassy and uncomfortable most of the time.
    She has recently been diagnosed with milk allergy and reflux and is on zantac and I am currently off all milk products.

Default Re: feeding for hours

6 weeks is a prime growth spurt. Your lo is doing great! She's stimulating you to produce more milk for her increased needs. It's a tough time for sure, but hang in there - it's temporary.

Amy

Welcome to the confusing world of reflux and allergies! It can be so difficult to tell what is allergy/reflux related and what is just regular 'ole baby stuff. Probably it is just a growth spurt, but I learned to write down changes on behavior/activity so that I could see if patterns were emerging that suggested a need for changes in med dose, my diet, etc.

Hang in there and, if you haven't already, visit the Allergy section on this forum. (I also like www.reflux.org for reflux and MSPI information.)

My baby just reached 7 wks, and has been unreasonably fussy and nursing like a champ for a week and a half now... No reflux or allergies though...

My pediatrician said that (almost) all babies go through a "funky" time around 6 weeks, as they are going through both a growth and developmental spurt. She said to just hang in there and wait it out. So I'm feeling like a dairy cow, and the days are pretty long with the fussiness all afternoon... but this, too, will end!!

Good luck~ I guess we all have to deal with it at some point!
    Mom to Charlie~ who just took his first steps at 10 3/4 months!
    9lbs 9oz and 22" at birth
    1wk: 9lbs 9.8oz
    7wks: 13lbs 6oz and 25"!
    5 months 2 weeks: 22lbs and 30 inches
    10 months 2 weeks: 27lbs and 33 inches

I don't know if you lot all have 6 week vaccinations where you are, but that might have something to do with it too.

It has only been two days since this started, but she doesnt sleep at all. So I shouldnt be concerned? She may sleep for 1/2 hour - an hour and then want to nurse again. I hope this doenst last too much longer I am exhausted!

Sounds pretty normal for a growth spurt- they usually last just a few days. Should be over soon. Hang in there!