Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused! taking meds while BF??

Default Confused! taking meds while BF??

Ok I'm going to try to make this as short as possible but still give you all the info....For about 5 years now I've dealt with depression, anxiety, angry outbursts etc.. and all the "fun" things that go along with all that. I took meds. before I got pregnant but chose to stop them during pregnancy. My DS is 15 months now and we're nursing still so I chose not to take any meds again yet. During the first 6 mos of nursing (I think it was because of the release of the Oxcitocin and Prolactin) I didn't need the meds. Over the past few months it's coming back and I feel like it's getting worse.
    I went to my Dr. the other day and her advice was to wean before starting any meds. She gave me all the numbers and stats and ultimately left it up to me. I know some moms take depression meds while nursing but I just don't know how I feel about it. She gave me a Rx for Prozac (which I haven't filled yet) but I've heard that Zoloft is a better choice while nursing. I am really struggling with what to do here. I feel like I need to take something again for my sake and my family's. I'm not afraid I will hurt anyone or anything it's not to that extreem, I'm just miserable. I have been reading on Kellymom and LLL about weaning and it's breaking my heart. The thought of weaning him now....is awful. I think I would be ready to wean but there is no way he is and I just can't do that to him. So what do I do?? I would love to hear your experiences with this. Do I take the meds and "hope" there is no effect? Do I stick it out until he's ready to wean and hope I can handle it? I don't feel I can wean now. I am so confused I know that noone can tell me what to do but if anyone is in this situation and can offer some advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much for reading if you made it this far.

Default Re: Confused! taking meds while BF??

My vote? Try the Zoloft and don't wean yet Many moms have found success with Zoloft and continue nursing.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Hi mel6928,
    I've sent you a PM.
    Mary

Hiya:

I too have suffered with depression. I went to my doctor and she prescribed Eglynol which is safe to use while breastfeeding. I think if you wean now you will be even more depressed! It is possible to take depression medication and continue to breast feed. Please go back to your doctor and tell her you are not ready to wean and to advise which meds are "safe" to use while you continue. Eglynol is also great for increasing milk production so I had a real bonus as my milk was starting to decrease due to my stress and depression, now I am much happier, calmer and produce enough milk to keep my little one happy.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.