Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Preparing for breastfeeding?

Default Preparing for breastfeeding?

Hello! This is my first post on this forum. Im 21 years old and im 27 weeks pregnant with my first baby. My mom recomended to check this web page and learn as much as I can if I plan on breastfeeding. She mentioned that I must prepare myself for it, im not sure what she meens by this. Other then getting myself bras and breast pads, is there anything I have to do before the baby arrives to ensure a successful feeding?

Thanks in advance.

Marie

Default Re: Preparing for breastfeeding?

Hello and welcome to the board! Your mom had a great idea to send you here. The majority of preparation you need to do before you breastfeed your baby is mental. On top of learning all you can from books, the internet, other nursing moms at LLL meetings, I think it is necessary to spend a great deal of time "convincing" yourself that you CAN do this! Imagine yourself nursing your baby. Think about all the situations that might come up that challenge the breastfeeding relationship you will have with your baby, and how you will rise to those challenges. Knowing and planning ahead of time how you will react in these situations makes it much easier when those situations actually materialize.

You do NOT, however, need to do any physical preparation other than getting some nursing bras, pads, and if you plan on spending time away from baby a breast pump. http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/breastprep.html

That link will take you to some more information regarding preparing to breastfeed.

Congrats on your pregnancy and once again, welcome to the board!

Awwww! Congrats! BF is a truely gratifying experience. Though it is something instinctual, it does not always come easily so learning all you can about positioning and latch will really help get started. Also, if you can, try to nurse as soon after you deliver as possible. We often have pregnant women attend local meetings and I would encourage you to do so so that you can see bf in action and also learn in the process. There's a first time moms thread and a pregnancy thread on here so feel free to post there.Good luck and keep us posted. There's a first time moms thread and a pregnancy thread on here so feel free to post there.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

I would highly reccomend going to a LLL meeting before your little one is born. It helped me so much in the beginning to have met a few women that I could call anytime that I knew would be supportive. It also helped to be planning on attending that first meeting after my daughter was born. I knew that even if I hadn't left the house in 3 weeks I had a plan! I was going to a LLL meeting, and I could go with spit up on my sweat suit and bags under my eyes! That boost of confidence I got at that first meeting after she was born really helped me hang in there during that first crucial month.

So exciting, wishing you all the best.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Great!! Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you posted.

Your mom is right! You'll need to learn as much as you can about BF otherwise when somebody give you a wrong advise (i.e, your ped) you'll know what to do. Get support, clearly you got your mom which is great, LLL is great giving support. Read books, talk to other BF moms; just arm yourself with knowledge. A book that I recommend is The Natural Art of Breastfeeding.

Hi,
    i'd like to add a question here. My pharmacist told me to ask you if there is a cream or a natural oil that will help my nipples to be more 'tough' and resistant in soreness or bleeding.

No, there is nothing you can do to "toughen" the nipples. They don't need to be toughened at all--when the baby is latched correctly they are amazingly tough by nature! Any soreness is usually because of poor latch (though it's common to have some in the very early days). And any cracking/bleeding is definitely due to latch issues.

You can use some Lanolin (this should be purified Lanolin like Lansinoh) to help condition them. It's also good to have it on hand for when your baby comes.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thoughening the nipples isn't necessary, it can actually do more harm than good. You can use Lansinoh while you're pregnant, it can soften the nipple, and it's a great cream for sore nipples.

Good Morning girls--I want to add my 2 cents on the topic of toughening the nipples. I agree that it's not necessary--however, I truly believe that if your husband likes them, while your pg, it can, in a way, desensitize them a bit, so the first few times the baby latches on, it's not as much of a shock, etc. I only BF my DS for 3 weeks due to lack of education on my part, but I never once got sore and I truly believe that the fact that my DH is a "boob man" helped that to be the case.

Sorry if TMI, but thought I'd share. I have no evidence to prove this, it's just one of my many unproven theories!

Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed (6-19-04)
    Mommy to Ada Grace (arriving 7-7-06 via repeat c-section)