Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: overfeeding

Default overfeeding

So, I keep reading that I can't overfeed my BF baby. Is there a reason for that? What about when baby is offered a bottle? Will he drink from a bottle even if he isn't hungry? My sister (who watches him twice a week) says that DS has never refused a bottle even if it has been less than two hours since his last bottle. He is 4 months old and drinks roughly 3-5oz bottles during the day. He will drink only two bottles if he decides to take a looooong nap.

Default Re: overfeeding

From what I understand you cannot over feed a breastfed baby. Your baby has to work for his meal at the breast and if he's not hungry then he's probably just comfort sucking (not really actively feeding). A bottle is different, even if it's EBM. If he wants to just suck for comfort using a bottle he's going to be getting a lot of calories he doesn't need.

---Ladies, correct me if I'm off track, I'm new to this too. ---

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Default Re: overfeeding

So, when my sister offers him a bottle, he could just be eating because he wants to suck? Sooo, babies will drink from a bottle even if they aren't hungry? The entire bottle???

Ohhh, I had the same issue with DD and I feel like I still don't know the answers! Does parenting ever get any easier