Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to self feed?

Default How to self feed?

I hope I didn't mess this up , BUT, I have been spoon feeding my LO (7 months) and I want him to move to self feeeding. I give him pieces of the food we are eating (bread, green beans, bananas). The problem is, he just grabs it, looks at it, and then bangs it on the highchair or table. He puts everything else in his mouth. How do I get him to try to eat (or even gum) his food? He has no teeth by the way.

Default Re: How to self feed?

My DS didn't self-feed until about 9 months. He is now 10 months. It will come... just give him opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by slpvols View Post
    It will come... just give him opportunities.

Just keep offering food and one day your LO will start to eat!

I found it also helped to eat with my DS. If he saw me eating something (and enthusiastically saying "yum") he'd be more likely to want to try it.

Sometimes with new foods he looks to me to try it first. I guess I'm demonstrating both how to eat and that it is safe to eat.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My LO didn't really self-feed until about 8 1/2 months and it was Cheerios. SHe loves them! We tried with some really soft diced carrots and she found them interesting. She tried to get them into her mouth, but found it difficult because they kept slipping out of her little fingers. She will try to put anything into her mouth though as long as you offer it to her in your hand or on her tray. I offered everything on her spoon first or off my finger for the first few pieces, then showed them to her on her tray and she would self feed. She enjoys the zweiback toast as well...we just have to make sure she doesn't shove the whole thing into her mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post

I found it also helped to eat with my DS. If he saw me eating something (and enthusiastically saying "yum") he'd be more likely to want to try it.

Do you eat with your hands? That is a good idea.

Thanks everyone! I guess they work at their own pace. Today I offered him a piece of my toast that I was eating. I held it to his mouth and he licked it. I guess that is a start!

when they self feed, do you just cut small bits of the food 'item' and place it in front of them?
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.

Yes - I often eat with my hands with DS. He'll learn table manners later. Now at 16 mo DS is pretty good at feeding himself with a fork or a spoon, but we always tell him its ok to use his hands if he wants to.

We did "baby led solids" - the guidelines are to offer food that is either french fry shaped or about the size of LO's fist. Once they get a good pincer grip LO do great a picking up small things (think Cheerios).
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Here is the best BLS site I have found: http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html
    HTH!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.