Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need support

Unhappy need support

My baby girl was born 3 months early and i been pumping for the last 4 months. She sometimes take the breast but i pump every 4 hours and i am getting very fustrated with pumping. I have lots of milk but its just so time consuming. I don't know how to pump in public so when i go out its very quick so i can get back to pump. I would love to figure out how o pump when i am out so i can start enjoying myself and not watching the clock. i would like to keep it up for a year but i am just so fed up with the lack of sleep and the pain i get if i don't pump in 4 hours. please i need advice. thank you!

Default Re: need support

Have you tried pumping in your car? I know that some pumps have car adapters. Good luck!

Default Re: need support

Congratulations on your baby. And your right you do need support. It is very hard with a preemie, but trust me it will get better in due time. My daughter was 8 wks early and I didn't breastfeed but a couple of times while she was in the hospital. It took almost 3 mths for her to finally take to the breast regularly to the point where I could finally stop pumping. As long as you pump regularly you will not loose your supply. You want to pump at least every 3-4 hours and try nursing her every 2-3 hours. You will find that after she strats suckeling she will not fully relieve you. So after she nurses you will need to pump as well. It is recommended that if she nurses for say 5 mins then you pump after for 5mins. Basically you subtract the time she nurses from 15mins and pumping the remaining. It takes a lot of time and patience. But it does work.