Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: From 2 naps to one

Default From 2 naps to one

This isn't necessarily a BF question, but this seemed like a good place to post a general question: for those of you with older children, when did they switch from 2 naps to one per day and how did you know they were ready to make the switch? I have heard such a range (from before 1 year to almost 2) and I'm not sure how I'd know DD was ready to make the switch.

Thanks for any input.

Default Re: From 2 naps to one

The reason you hear a wide range of answers is because it is a very individual thing.
    Even as grown-ups we all have our own sleeping patterns.
    Just follow your baby's cues, when she's ready to drop the 2nd nap, she'll just stop going easily to sleep and the change will happen naturally.

Just when you think you have everything figured out, they change on you! My 12 month old son is starting to make the transition from two naps to one. My husband and I noticed in the last few weeks that it was hard some days to get him to take a morning nap. He just didn't seem tired. We weren't really expecting it and it was kind of trying to have to fight him to take a nap. Then, one day, we gave in and let him skip the nap. He seemed fine without it. But, it is still a gradual process. Some days he wants the morning nap, other days he doesn't. I'll tell you though, the days he doesn't take the morning nap, his afternoon nap comes earlier, as does his bedtime. Even though he is dropping a nap, he still needs about the same amount of sleep. Good luck!

I think that the "average" kid starts to outgrow it about 12 months (some a little earlier, some a little later). At about one year, my son started not being able to take a good afternoon nap, and by bedtime he was fussy. I slowly decreased the time of the morning nap. When I got down to 30mins, I took it away completetly. Also, when DS went down to just one nap, I had to move it earlier to 1:00-1:30 (he did go down at 2pm before). He is 2.5 years now and still takes a good 1.5-2hr nap. Knock on wood, I hope it stays like this a little longer. I will probably start reducing it to 1.5hrs soon so that his bedtime doesn't keep creeping later. If we miss a nap on a busy day, by four he is pretty much asking to go to bed....very abnormal for him. HTH!!