Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying to relactate

Default Trying to relactate

Hey everyone. My name is Jenny and my DH and I have a 9 year old girl and a 3 month old son. DS was in NICU for 30 some hours and I wasn't able to bf right away. I did pump and he got all of the colostrum and some milk. When he came out he wouldn't latch on right. We tried for a few more days and then I got tired and gave in tot he bottle because he was so hungry. Anhhow, the other day I noticed that my breasts still had milk and there was about 3/4 oz in them altogether. DS is 3 months old! He is very gassy/fussy on formulas...we have tried him on many and he has now been on soy for over a month and does best on it (for formulas anyhow) I REALLY want to try relactating. I bought some Mothers Milk Tea and am taking that as of yesterday. I also eat oatmeal once in the morning. I am on day 3 and so far not much there but hoping! He did latch right onto both breast tonight but only for a short period before crying and falling asleep. (I tried putting the breast in place of the paci).

My question is how long should I pump and what strength? I mean, I am doing 10 mins every 2-3 hours during the day and once overnight. I use a Medela PIS and it is a double pump and I have the strength all the way up and turn it up to high after about a minute. My nipples are getting sore...which I assume is normal on day 3. Will I still get enough milk flowing with the pump on a lower setting?

Default Re: Trying to relactate

I found that I get more out when on a little lower of a setting - my nipples got too sore at higher settings. This made me uncomfortable and not able to relax as well during pumping. So, I turned the setting down and pump a longer - about 30 minutes - for 2 let downs. This worked well for me.

Amy

You should not be sore. If the milk isn't there - a higher setting isn't going to get more milk out. It is only going to hurt you and make the journey more difficult.

Keep the setting comfortable for you.

Have you heard of switch nursing"? Yu can do this to keep your baby interested for longer - plus it really helps stimulate milk production.

Welcome and good luck!

Thanks girls...I will try pumping longer at a lower setting. Also, how important is pumping overnight as long as you are getting 8-10 in during the day? My LO is now sleeping through. I am willing and able to get up during the overnight too. And, is switch nursing when you put the bottle in then switch to the breast back and forth?

Quote Originally Posted by jenzbugrulz1978 View Post
    Also, how important is pumping overnight as long as you are getting 8-10 in during the day?
    Night pumping/nursing can be very beneficial because your prolactin--milk-making hormone--levels are highest at night. This is why many mothers who need to increase their milk supply bring their babies to bed with them to nurse at night. Even just sleeping with baby's mouth near your breast will increase your prolactin levels and have a positive impact on your milk supply.

Switch nursing is when you switch baby from one breast to the other several times throughout the feeding. It is helpful for sleepy babies, or babies who lose interest in nursing quickly. It is another great way to increase milk supply. Combining switch nursing with breast compressions (gently squeezing the breast on and off to keep the milk flowing) is very effective.

HTH. Welcome!!

Tiana

I just want to say good for you for trying!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

THanks girls for your support!