I was first diagnosed with thrush by an LC back in September when DS was 2 months old. It was causing itchy, red nipples, white blebs on my nipples and backed up milk ducts. First, it was the left breast. Then, the right breast got affected as well. We tried Lotrimin for a while - didn't work. Then we went to gentian violet. Also didn't work. Then I got mastitis from a particularly nasty plugged duct. After that, my OB prescribed an antibiotic and Diflucan.
The LC also had me start taking vitamin C and omega-3 supplements, as well as probiotics. We have held off on the lecithin because we thought DS might be sensitive to soy.
We thought it went away, but we didn't treat DS, so a month later, we had thrush again. We had to do the Diflucan treatment again, this time with DS on Nystatin.
After that, I continued to get plugged ducts (sometimes related, sometimes unrelated to the blebs that I still had) on average once a week on either breast. By then, I knew the drill - warm compresses, saline soaks, massage, using a washcloth to rub the bleb, ibuprofen for the inflammation. But sometimes the bleb was lodged so deep into the nipple skin that I couldn't break it open and I just had to wait until that particular milk duct was so full that it would "burst" it open.
Christmastime at the ILs was pretty stressful and by the time we returned home, I had thrush again. And frequent plugged ducts. At least this time, it is only my right breast. My left breast seems fine. I visited both the LC and my OB again. I'm taking antibiotics and Diflucan again. But there is one bleb that is lodged deep into the nipple tissue that refuses to become dislodged. Sometimes it will open up just a little bit and eke out a teeny tiny stream of milk and then it will close up again and the milk starts to back up. I do warm compresses and soaks even after it opens up to try to prevent this, but I am so sick and tired of it all! God forbid I decide I'd like to go one day without a compress sticking out of my bra - bam! I'm plugged up again.
DS is six months now and had a little bit of formula when he was around 2 months, but refused it after that. He won't even drink frozen BM - not that I have a stash or anything. And I don't want to wean yet. The thought of it makes me sad, but I just can't keep doing this.
How the heck do I get this plugged duct to open up for good? I feel like I've done everything in the book. Somewhere, there must be a doctor or an LC with the exact answer, and I just am grasping at all the temporary solutions!