Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeeding and pregnancy

Default breastfeeding and pregnancy

My wee girl turned one today. For the past 2-3 weeks, she has increased her feeding during both the day and the night to almost every two hours. She did have a bug about 3 weeks ago, and went exclusive again for a couple of days but is back eating some food. She has become whiney and easily upset, very unlike her She cries hysterically if I take her off the boob, even to change sides and if I take her off to try and stop she goes mental, crying and screaming hysterically, I am 7 weeks pregnant and sometimes it is uncomfortable. I want to continue as long as I can. Here are my questions:

1) Is it a growth spurt and so unrelated to pregnancy?

2) If it is pregnancy related:

a) Could she be sensing something is changing and be reacting emotionally?
    b) Could the pregnancy hormones be affecting my milk and so affecting her mood the same way it affects me?

Thank you

Miriam

Default Re: breastfeeding and pregnancy

I don't know anything about breastfeeding and pregnancy, but for my son went through a very frequent nursing phase at about 12-13 months. I've heard this from other moms too. I could just be a growth spurt.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Hello!

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Many moms who are pregnant while nursing can experience changes in their milk. Some notice a drop in supply, some notice a change in the taste. Sometimes milk can actually get salty! The hormones your placenta makes while pregnant can override the hormones needed to make milk, which can make your milk supply decrease.

I am wondering if the fussing and increase in nursing is her way of trying to get you to make more milk? Some babies also seem to notice subtle changes (I've heard moms swear their babies knew they were pregnant before they did!) in milk during pregnancy.

I would really like to suggest the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" by Hilary Flower. SO many moms who have nursed through a pregnancy and gone on to nurse two have found it a wonderful reference (including myself). There is a long chapter on nursing through pregnancy and what you can expect.

During pregnancy, things can change, sometimes quickly. So, one thing that is bothering you now may not bother you later on.

If you have any other questions, we're happy to help! There is also a nursing through pregnancy forum here on this board, lots of experienced mamas there!

thanks liz...could you please post that link to breastfeeding through pregnancy, i can't find it..........

thanks

Miri