Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! Baby rejecting my milk!

Default HELP! Baby rejecting my milk!

I'm at a loss. My son is 5 1/2 months old. I've been feeding him pumped milk since he was 8 weeks old in preparation of my return to work. He did fine with it. I started exclusively pumping when he entered day care at 12 weeks. I also had to introduce one formula feeding a day. He was still fine with everything. That one feeding turned into two, and then three (he was up to eating seven bottles a day - six ounces each. I have a BIG boy!). He was eating both well.

Two weeks ago my menstrual cycle started for the first time since I gave birth. I have noticed a decrease in the amount of milk I produced during that time, but I'm back to my normal output. This week my son is now completiy rejecting my milk. I'm devastated and don't know what to do. My milk is lighter in color than it used to be. He just screams and cries whenever I (or his daddy or daycare provider) try to give him a milk bottle. He sucks the formula bottle right down! I'm still pumping to maintain supply, but he won't drink the milk. Any thoughts? Has anyone heard of such a thing before? Could the return of my cycle changed the components of my milk to make it taste bad to him? Any advise would be appreciated!

Valerie

Default Re: HELP! Baby rejecting my milk!

Hi:

The same thing happened to me. My doctor said it was beacause my cycle was changing the taste of the milk. I pumped almost exclusively for 6 months. He ate all his formula (one bottle a day) but screamed when I gave him breast milk. My milk was lighter too. It was suggested that the lighter milk was foremilk which contains high amounts of lactose, which made him sick. I have been pumping and throwing it away. This coincided when I was planning to wean. It was also suggested to me that because I was pumping less, the bottles had less hindmilk. Not sure if this helps. I had a good cry over this.

What does the bottled milk taste like? Sometimes an enzyme in the milk called Lipase, can start to turn the milk sour.
    Your menstraul cycle will not effect the composition or taste of your milk.

Thanks for the info. The milk tastes super sweet - sweeter than normal. It is also stickier than it used to be. I've also completely lost the 60 pounds I gained with the pregnancy (don't even ask - I didn't eat that much, I swear!). Could that have something to do with this? Maybe my body isn't getting enough fuel to make proper milk??