Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I don't know what to do?

Default I don't know what to do?

Long story short!
    I love(d) breastfeeding ..... I was 100% devoted to it! However I am one of those woman whose bodies take a lot of work to breastfeed. I was going with the flow and getting used to taking supplement ( fenugreek), downing water, eating oatmeal , anything to keep this going. I was unable to get any expressed milk I tried for 5 weeks pumping at least 15-20 times a day and feeding every 1.5 hours.I was NEVER able to ger any milk through pumping.( I was relaxed I just could never let down, I rented a hospital grade pump and all!) Let's just say my home was falling apart ( I am a SAHM w/ a 5 year old). BUT none of this mattered as I wanted to continue. Well over Thanksgiving I had a breakdown of the sorts. I feel it was contributed to lack of sleep for 6 weeks. Since Sunday I have been FFing Marilyn and she visits my chest a few times a day but there rarely is anything . I have not became engorged , leaked etc...?

SO questions:
    *Why did my milk just stop?
    *Is it normal not to leak or anything?
    *Is there anyway that I could continue after FF for 2 days?
    *What steps can I take with next child to keep producing milk ( Dr. would not prescribe me Reglan) I knew something was up with my milk?

I am REALLY bummed I want to BF soooo bad , I really miss it ! I just don't understand what happened to my milk?

Marilyn is 6 weeks old!

Default Re: I don't know what to do?

I'd strongly suggest going to see a lactation consultant (sorry if you've already been seeing one). You want to find someone who has the IBCLC credential.

Keep putting baby to the breast. Many moms make plenty of milk but still can't get anything while pumping. Was there are reason for needing pumped milk - or was the pumping to try to increase supply?

OH my goodness, you have been working REALLY hard!! It is so frustrating when it feels like you're doing so much, and not having many results!

I am wondering, though, if you have any medical problems, like PCOS or diabetes, or if you are taking any kind of medication at all, including hormonal birth control (like Depo Provera or the pill - mini or regular). Some medical problems and some medications can have an effect on your supply. Some moms with untreated low thyroid can have trouble with supply.

Has your baby ever latched on and nursed from your breast? If so, what was happening that was making you think you weren't making enough milk? (Not judging you, I just wanted to make sure I have enough information to try to help answer your questions...) Also, what was your labor and birth like? Sometimes events from your labor and/or birth can have an effect on breastfeeding.

Again, I am SO sorry you are having so much trouble! Are you getting help in real life? We can help a bit online, but sometimes you'll get better, more efficient help if you are talking with a LLL Leader in your town...

Quote Originally Posted by llmommy View Post
    Keep putting baby to the breast. Many moms make plenty of milk but still can't get anything while pumping. Was there are reason for needing pumped milk - or was the pumping to try to increase supply?
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLNursingLiz View Post
    OH my goodness, you have been working REALLY hard!! It is so frustrating when it feels like you're doing so much, and not having many results!

I am wondering, though, if you have any medical problems, like PCOS or diabetes, or if you are taking any kind of medication at all, including hormonal birth control (like Depo Provera or the pill - mini or regular). Some medical problems and some medications can have an effect on your supply. Some moms with untreated low thyroid can have trouble with supply.

Has your baby ever latched on and nursed from your breast? If so, what was happening that was making you think you weren't making enough milk? (Not judging you, I just wanted to make sure I have enough information to try to help answer your questions...) Also, what was your labor and birth like? Sometimes events from your labor and/or birth can have an effect on breastfeeding.

Again, I am SO sorry you are having so much trouble! Are you getting help in real life? We can help a bit online, but sometimes you'll get better, more efficient help if you are talking with a LLL Leader in your town...

When Marilyn was born I immediately BF . She has always had a strong latch and we enjoyed this bond very much. I was pumping in hopes to store some for just in case times and also to up my supply.

I always worry at the begining that I am not making enough milk ... but that soon fades and I let nature take it' course!

However my body for some reason does not like to pump! But I felt like something was wrong around Thanksgiving . Marilyn would cry and cry and I could not hear any swallowing. I let it fo through out the day but she only had 4 really wet diapers over the course of the next day and a half. At first I had assumed this was a growth spurt but when I noticed the decrease in diapers I was worried.

I think I will call my local LLL and see if there is anyway to relactate>

I always worry at the begining that I am not making enough milk ... but that soon fades and I let nature take it' course!
    So, does this mean that you successfully breastfed your first daughter?

But I felt like something was wrong around Thanksgiving . Marilyn would cry and cry and I could not hear any swallowing. I let it fo through out the day but she only had 4 really wet diapers over the course of the next day and a half. At first I had assumed this was a growth spurt but when I noticed the decrease in diapers I was worried.
    Up until this time, your baby had adequate diaper output without supplements? What was her weight gain/growth like before this happened? Any illness, medication, other changes?

I think I will call my local LLL and see if there is anyway to relactate>
    Great idea! In person help is always a plus!

Yes, get some in person help. Keep putting her to the breast before giving her a bottle. Or, better yet, use finger or cup feeding instead. Keep her skin to skin as much as possible, sleep with her, bathe with her, etc. Good luck.

I definitely wouldn't worry about it only being 2 days FFing but not leaking or engorged, and the lack of wet diapers would worry me. Make sure she stays fed but keep putting her to the breast at every opportunity!