Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: green poop!lactose problems

Default green poop!lactose problems

at 2 weeks old my dd's poop went from the lovely bf yellow to green.my health nurse and i assumed it was an inbalance in the fore/hind milk.so i switched to 1 breast at each feeding,even doubling up on each breast for feedings(but this hurt so much!)this didnt help,so next we thought of a lactose problem.i went off all milk products 5 days ago.this seems to have helped.her bowel movements are now mostly yellow.now im wondering if anyone knows how long i need to stay off of milk.i want ice cream!!!
    ty,crystal

Default Re: green poop!lactose problems

my daughter has the same problems. the amount of lactose varies per food item, and the more dairy you have at one sitting, the more will be transferred into your milk. I cannot have milk or yogurt without my daughter having diarrhea and very severe reflux/spitting up. But I can have about 1/2 cup of ice cream or an ounce of cheese per day and she'll be fine. It took me a few weeks' process of elimination to figure out what would bother her & what would not, but I didn't want to cut dairy out of my diet completely b/c calcium intake is very important while BF. I make sure to get 2 viactiv calcium chews per day.

Default Re: green poop!lactose problems

May I ask -- how long did you do the block feeding (2 feedings in a row on the same breast)? Your body takes some time to adjust, and the baby's gut also may take some time beyond that. I'd hate to see you give up dairy if that isn't really the problem.

But -- there is life w/o dairy for the mom who needs to do that. In the U.S. (not sure where you are) there's a frozen dessert called Tofutti. One of my LLL friends had to go dairy-free with her oldest for a few months, and she was surprised by how much she liked the Tofutti (I think it's a soy-based ice cream).

--Rebecca