Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is there a cap on how many bottles I can give a day?

Default Is there a cap on how many bottles I can give a day?

Is there a cap on how many bottles can I give a day? My LO is 6 weeks old, almost 7 weeks. We started a bottle this week and my plan was to give one every few days. However, something's gone wrong with his gumming of my right nipple and now it is severely cracked and painful. I couldn't even sleep with the amount of pain. I have been taking painkillers but no help. So, I'd like to give them a rest and pump that side. Do you think there's a problem with alternating breast and bottle so that I feed by my left breast one session and then bottle of expressed milk from my right breast at the next session? As soon as my right side is healed, I'd like to back to breastfeeding. I just want to avoid any nipple confusion problem. I considered syringe feeding but a lactation consultant warned that that would be too confusing for LO (breast, bottle, syringe) and suggested I just stick with breast and bottle until the nipple heals. I am also going to work on getting LO to not hurt my right side but in the meantime, I could use advice on this. Thanks!

Default Is there a cap on how many bottles can I give a day?

Is there a cap on how many bottles can I give a day? My LO is 6 weeks old, almost 7 weeks. We started a bottle this week and my plan was to give one every few days. However, something's gone wrong with his gumming of my right nipple and now it is severely cracked and painful. I couldn't even sleep with the amount of pain. I have been taking painkillers but no help. So, I'd like to give them a rest and pump that side. Do you think there's a problem with alternating breast and bottle so that I feed by my left breast one session and then bottle of expressed milk from my right breast at the next session? As soon as my right side is healed, I'd like to back to breastfeeding. I just want to avoid any nipple confusion problem. I considered syringe feeding but a lactation consultant warned that that would be too confusing for LO (breast, bottle, syringe) and suggested I just stick with breast and bottle until the nipple heals. I am also going to work on getting LO to not hurt my right side but in the meantime, I could use advice on this. Thanks!

Default Re: Is there a cap on how many bottles can I give a day?

It's difficult to say because he is at an integral age for nipple confussion. If you have a local LC you could be fitted for a nipple shield to temorarily help you in the healing process.

If that's not possible, and you really can't bear the pain of the baby nursing, you may have to give the pumping a try and give that breast a rest. If you see your supply start to drop, maybe you'd reconsider. Or if you heal quicker than you expected, you can return to breastfeeding from that side.

Breastmilk is an incredible healer, so try to gently run some on the painful area a couple of times a day to help it heal.

An alternative to pumping would be to change the position of the baby so that his/her gums are not touching the painful area.

would u suggest feeding strictly from my left breast until the right heals? what do you think about syringe? do u agree that that would be confusing to LO?

ouch cracks are no fun..
    heres some info on how to heal them
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

trying to get the best latch you can is going to help that nipple heal.

check out theese links to improve latch:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html

clips on the right side of this web site:
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

if you feal like feeding the baby with syringe will help then it doesn't hurt to try. The bottle might be causing some of the latch problems.
    don't be afraid to call your local leader she can help!

Hey there. I don't think there is a cap on the number of bottles you can give, but the general advice around here is the fewer the better. when my nipples hurt in the beginning i used a nipple shield to help my nipple heal. it worked for me, then we had to wean off the nipple shield, but it saved my nipples and kept us breastfeeding. just thought i'd let you know about that option. beleive it or not, the nipples do eventually heal.
    best,
    maggie

I don't about the bottle issue since my son never took one but I had a cracked, incredibly painful and ultimately infected nipple when my son was 2 weeks old. I tried pumping but the pump was hurting more than the baby. What worked was (besides using lanolin) nursing that side in another position so that my baby's gums wouldn't be touching that spot. Nursing while lying down worked for us.

Quote Originally Posted by BFmama View Post
    I am so sorry you're in pain!! I've definitely been there. I had poor help during the first couple of months and was in pain for a long time unnecessarily. So I definitely understand wanting to give your nips a break!

Did your LC work on the latch, and tell you how to use breast compression to potentially make the feedings shorter?

I am not a professional and I don't mean to contradict your LC (was she an IBCLC by the way?) but this is part of what Dr. Jack Newman says in his recommendations for sore nipples:

If you are unable to put the baby to the breast because of pain, in spite of trying all the above measures, it may still be possible to continue breastfeeding after a temporary (3-5 days) cessation to allow the nipples to heal. During this time, it would be better that the baby not be fed with a rubber nipple. Of course it is also best for you and the baby if the baby is fed your expressed milk. Use the technique called "finger feeding" (handout #8 Finger Feeding) or cup feeding. This is a last resort and taking a baby off the breast should not be taken lightly. Furthermore, it often doesn’t work.
    You will see in the article that he also does not recommend nipple shields to treat soreness, and he is very, very big on getting the latch down. He really thinks that is at the heart of most pain problems, and if you eliminate that, then things improve rapidly. He also thinks that one of the problems with using bottles is that they tend to worsen latch issues rather than correct them, and there really isn't any safe "number" that applies to everyone because all babies are different and nipple confusion is a continuum.

Getting in touch with another board-certified LC or LLL leader to get help with the latch is a great idea IMO. I also personally recommend "The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers" by Jack Newman. I haven't checked out his "Visual Guide to Breastfeeding" DVD yet but if you see that I bet it's really awesome too. You can watch videos of good latches on his website if you like. HTH!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.