Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice please?

Default advice please?

I have a two week old daughter and have reached the point where I feel I have to give her a bottle. I so want to breastfeed but it seems to be getting worse rather than better. When she was born, she would not latch for 3 days mainly due to the fact I needed a blood transfusion and was feeling weak, so they tube fed her, but then on day 3 things improved and I went home. However I never got the engorged feeling that I was expecting when the milk came in, breasts are totally soft, although if I squeeze, milk is there, but no idea how much. the midwives have visited a few times but keep getting different advice no real help, I'm sure the latch on is not great no matter how hard I try. Last night was awful, she was so sleepy I could not wake her late evening to feed, no matter what I did, I left her an hour then tried again, and she only fed for 15 mins, then she slept again for 3 hrs then we've been feeding from 3.50am to 7.15am, on off,on off, the whole time, I have to keep delatching her because it is so painful, I am almost in tears. I'm sure she is starving and miserable, keeps crying the whole time, tired too no doubt by now. Don't know who to turn to, maybe a private lactation consultant? Any advice as to what to do?

Default Re: advice please?

They probably gave you info at the hospital about a support group that was connected to the hospital? Those are usually run by LC. So I would look into going with your child to get help. In the meantime utilize this website to find the LLLeader in your community! Call them! They will answer yourr questions and let you know about the Meeting in your communtiy. But I suggest the group connected to your hospital because they usually meet once or twice a week instead of once a month. So you might be able to get help this week.
    Also as far as measuring whether or not she is getting enough dont let your breast being full or not be your indicator. Let how many wet diapers she is having determine it. If its more than 6 a day your fine. Hows her weight? By this point if she is back up to birth weight shes fine! I know they tell you you have to wake your baby up to feed her. But dont think the 4 hr point is written in stone. Especially if when shes up she stays at the breast for hours. Those 1st weeks my DS lived on a boppy pillow. The only time we left the couch or bed was to change his diaper. (All of his photos from that time frame are on his changing table. It was the only time he was awake.) So dont give up! Just know that in the beginnig all they do is eat and sleep. And your job as tiring as it is is just to sustain her. Get the help you need now to correct latch issues and get the support you need. But know that we all spend the 1st few weeks stranded on a bed or couch realizing after a few days that yes we are still in our night gown! Stay with it . We have all been there. Your doing great.

thanks for this, she is not back to her birthweight yet which is why I'm worried. In the end I have given her some formula which she took, just to calm her down, I've managed to express 2oz just now so I know there is something there, obviously the latch is not right. Our hospital has closed its breastfeeding clinic so will try and find the LLL person as you suggest.thanks

((((HUGS))))
    I know how hard the first weeks can be (we all do). Lets be honest, its hard for everyone. really hard.
    But keep in mind that that is natural and normal, and it passes, it gets easier, we get through the tough times. In the end, the baby just grows up!

If your baby is producing a bunch of wet and a few poopy diapers a day, she's getting enough to eat.

you can try pumping your breasts to increase production - pump both breasts completely after every time your baby nurses, and if she goes more than 3 hours without nursing, pump then as well. After you pump both breasts, go back to the first breast and pump again on both sides, you can usually get a little more this way. You can also try to massage your breasts a bit before and during nursing to stimulate milk let-down.

Try taking Fenugreek (get it at your health food/ vitamin store in capsule form, 3 pills a day) to increase milk production, or get a herbal tea from the health food store for increasing milk. these teas usually contain fenugreek and blessed thistle.

I know it's a nice 'quick fix', but supplementing with formula doesnt help in the long run if you want to breastfeed.

And keep in mind that sometimes babies just cry a lot, and its not necessarily because they're hungry.

Keeping your baby on you in a good sling continuously is also a good idea, it can really help to calm and comfort the baby, and she may begin to nurse more if the breast is just 'there' on demand, while still keeping you 'hands-free' and able to go about your day without worrying about her too much.

An LC is a good idea, but the best advice I can give you is not to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by majikfaerie
    I know it's a nice 'quick fix', but supplementing with formula doesn't help in the long run if you want to breast-feed.
    This is true. When trying to maintain supply, if you supplement with formula it will compromise your supply. I have two friends who thought their baby wasn't getting enough and because they didn't have support they supplemented with formula in between feedings. baby then didn't feed well at the breast, and they quickly stopped producing enough milk.

And keep in mind that sometimes babies just cry a lot, and its not necessarily because they're hungry.
    My son did this, and I was holding him crying 2 am in the kitchen while he was crying. looking at those stupid formula samples similac and enfamil mail to you and sooo tempted to give it to him. the thing that stopped me was 1. I knew that formula was made on a man made machine where cleanliness cannot always be guaranteed, and who knows what is in it. 2. the lactating breast is never empty (provided you are using it) so I knew he was getting enough 3. my doula told me the first month to month 1/2 are the hardest. get rest, and feed on demand and things will turn around. You will be amazed at how they do.

Keeping your baby on you in a good sling continuously is also a good idea, it can really help to calm and comfort the baby, and she may begin to nurse more if the breast is just 'there' on demand, while still keeping you 'hands-free' and able to go about your day without worrying about her too much.
    Very good idea, but I could never figure out how to nurse in a sling, so i fed on demand. actually the 1st three months he was born we fed every 1.5 2 hrs (his demand and partly because of jaundice) I'd wake little one if she's sleeping longer than three hours. Keep her awake by stripping her down to diaper, and touching her chin. this usually reminds them that the should be eating

So sorry you are going through this! Glad you have found the forum here for some additional support.

**Please** do try to find a lactation consultant and get some one-on-one help as soon as you can! Correcting any latch issues would be a good step. Also, can you get access to a hospital-grade pump to rent? This could help you get your supply up by pumping in addition to having baby on the breast as often as possible.

What is your DD's diaper output?? As a PP has said, that's a really good indication of whether she is getting enough to eat.

You are undoubtedly on the right track and trying so hard... it IS hard to get this going...don't be tough on yourself! Hang in there and keep us posted.
    good luck and hugs,
    Jsmom

Quote Originally Posted by freyasmom
    ... When she was born, she would not latch for 3 days mainly due to the fact I needed a blood transfusion and was feeling weak, so they tube fed her, but then on day 3 things improved and I went home. However I never got the engorged feeling that I was expecting when the milk came in, breasts are totally soft, although if I squeeze, milk is there, but no idea how much.

.... Don't know who to turn to, maybe a private lactation consultant? Any advice as to what to do?

Freyasmom -- I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. You mentioned receiving a blood transfusion -- may I ask if you lost a great deal of blood during the birth? In rare cases, a massive amount of blood loss can mess up the hormonal process that controls milk production. This happened to a friend of mine a couple years ago. Find a lactation consultant with the IBCLC credential after her name, discuss your birth experience as well as your breastfeeding issues, and ask her about Sheehan's syndrome.

Hopefully this is not what you are dealing with, but I think you need knowledgeable, in-person from an IBCLC and/or an experienced LLL Leader who can meet with you, to help you figure out what is going on and how best to proceed.

Big hugs and much encouragement to you during this very trying time.

--Rebecca

Hi there!

It sounds like you're having a rough time ((hugs)). I second the advice to seek out a LLL Leader or an IBCLC in your area to help you with the baby's latch.

How are your baby's wet and dirty diapers? What was her birthweight? What is her weight now?

You mention that you were able to pump 2 oz. That's a good sign that you have plenty of milk. It definitely sounds like she needs a better latch to transfer the milk better.

Don't feel guilty about using some formula. It sounds like your baby was very hungry and needed the food. Rule number one is feed the baby! It isn't ideal to have to use formula, but sometimes we need it to get through to where we can get some help.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

thanks for your replies. yesterday got even worse tho, after giving her the formula she went straight to sleep, tried to wake her after a couple of hours to try bf again, but took me 50 mins to wake her (tried everything, we've had heatwave inUK, very hot weather), she then was awake from 12 noon and feeding on off the whole time till midnight, at which point she was still screaming so I gave her the 2oz I'd expressed earlier as was desparate for some sleep - she gulped it down and went straight to sleep again, so she is definitely hungry. She slept through till 5am, but my breasts were still soft, no sign of feeling full or anything, I've bfed her this morning but she's screaming again now.

Forgot to mention that I have 13 mth old daughter too, so pumping opportunities very limited as is chance to get rest at any other time of day. Tried phoning the LLL helpline 3 times, but got ansaphone each time. With ref to bloodloss, lost about 700ml they said, but HB went down to 5. will check out syndrome, thanks

forgot to add she was 7lb 15 at birth and was about 4oz down still on monday when weighed she is 2 wks today