Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to lose it!

Default About to lose it!

What on earth is going on...every time I think things are going well, I get thrown another problem it seems.

This time, what I consider a problem, other ladies would probably love...but...

ok..the last 3 weeks now, dd has been nursing CONSTANTLY!! She sometimes won't even make it an hour before wanting to nurse again. It is seriously about to drive me nuts. I can't get any shopping done because it is so hard to have a baby that needs to eat constantly, so I either have to take forever to get anywhere, or listen to her cry, which I can't stand either. My other two girls are probably so sick of their little sister...our trips to town are just terror!! I see all these people around me with these content happy little babies...and then look at mine screaming, wanting to eat AGAIN! I know when she nurses that she is getting plenty of food because she swallows like crazy. She decides when she is done, as she starts talking to whatever it is she talks to under her blanket! I guess I've noticed that she's wanting to use me for her pacifier, since she rarely takes her REAL paci anymore, but to be honest, I am not a person who is willing to play the role of pacifier. I have two other children who have gone long enough without attention from their mommy, and it should be starting to get better being as baby is 3.5 months old, but it is only getting worse. I am at my wits end here...she hasn't been sleeping well at night either...not like she used to. I realize their sleep patterns can change, but she'll sleep for a 4 hour stretch now and then is up every 1-1.5 hours after that...before she would sleep at least a 5-6 hour stretch and then up every 2-3 hours after that. At first I thought it was a growth spurt, but to be going on for this long, I know that is not what it is at this point. Please help me...I need ideas on how to get her to pacify herself rather than needing my boob to do it for her...I need to be a mom to all of my children, and I feel like I've only been able to be a mom to the baby...I have been enjoying breastfeeding, but lately I am growing to resent it...
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

Default Re: About to lose it!

Wow! It's amazing how we all go through the same feelings. My 1st post on this sight was about whether or not to introduce solid food bacause my DS was wanting to feed all the time and I was't sure my breasts were sustaining him. I too was beginnig to be resentful. I can't imagine what you must be going thru w/2 other children! Because let's face it sleep issues affect us when we only have to take care of ourselves nevermind other people.
    With my child it was teeth. He was in pain and he was comfort nursing. I felt TERRIBLE about being resentful about him needing me to pacify him when he obviously really did. 3 & 1/2 months seems young to be teething but try to be patient with her. If your the only thing that she wants, there must be a reason. Try Tylenol. If she's in any pain it should help. Also is it possible for you to pump and leave her with someone while you and your other children run your errands or even while you spend some special time with them? I've found that if I'm here my DS always wants just me. But if I'm not here he'll take a bottle from whoever!
    Another thing to consider...there are several wraps that allow you to nurse in. So you don't always have to go and sit down. That might be something to look into. They usually are less fussy when they are in a wrap or sling even when they aren't nursing because they feel like they are right with you without you having to "carry" them. You are "hands free" but they are with you/on you. Just some things to consider. Hang in there. This too shall pass!

Hi ,
    I remember that your DD had reflux problems.Since I also went thru similar problems make sure she is not having silent reflux.Because babies tend to nurse frequently to reduce pain in food track.Can you weigh her and see how is her weight gain.I remember some body also wrote that their DD increased 5lbs within short time beacuse of reflux.
    I has similar experience with my DD.Just a thought...
    Mangai

Ok..so now I am really starting to wonder...after nursing between 1 and 2 hours all morning and afternoon, I nursed at 3:00 and dd was screaming for more at 4:00...I decided to try something to see if she was just using me for a paci or if she is truly hungry..so I made her a 4oz formula bottle which she devoured like she hadn't eaten for days! She then willingly laid down for a nap which she NEVER does, she always protests it...even after nursing every 1-2 hours for as long as I have, she's still hungry?? I know sometimes babies will take an oz or 2 even if they aren't hungry, but 4oz?? Could it be that I am just not satisfying her for some reason?? Please help me...I'm in tears with the thought that I may have to stop...my supply should be wonderful after all the nursing I've been doing...I don't know what is going on!

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

3.5 months can be a tough time for mom and baby. She is really becoming aware of all of her surroundings, maybe teething etc. I am sorry to say that what you are describing is normal. As long as your dd is having good output and is gaining than I would not say that it is a supply issue. Do you give her formula often? Is she getting good naps during the day? Also, she may just be a bit of a high needs child, my son is that way and was REALLY that way as a tiny infant. Always needing me to be around him to nurse what seemed like all day. Have you tried a sling when you shop to see if you can keep her close, maybe that will help her? You could always NIP in the sling also. Did you imply that she does not like the car? I can also emphasize with you there, I would dread trips to the shops as ds would cry and cry the whole way there and back. I am sorry that you are going through this, as I am sure that it will pass. The fussiness that it, the sleeping may be a different story, ds has really never been a great sleeper at sleeping long stretches at night, like your child he did when he was very young but even now at 13 months he rarely goes more than a 3 hour stretch. If you really want to make some changes concerning sleep then I would recommend the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. She has some good, gentle ideas that you may find helpful. If all else fails you could always just nip into the peds office to rule out an ear infection or something like that. You are doing a great job!

Oh Dear-we must have the same babies!! My girl went through this too recently-she's about 3.5 mnths as well. I also have a 6 yr old, so yeah, it's tough. I do give a bottle when I truly need a break, and she'll suck it down like she's not been fed all day!!! There's probably nothing wrong with your supply-you may just have been "blessed" with a high needs baby, who wants mom all the time!! Trips for us are hard too-we had to pull over the other night in the McDonalds lot so that I could feed her since she was hysterical and wouldn't take the bottle I had taken with us!! i hope that your day is going better-hang in there!!!

Well...I very rarely give my baby formula, only when I absolutely need a break! She hadn't had a bottle at all, breastmilk or formula, for probably a month and a half, I was actually surprised she still took it! Anyhow, after she had that one yesterday, she was so content...and then I actually gave her one more while I pumped...I got 3 oz, but knew I didn't get a good letdown, so my supply must be ok. After that we went back to strictly nursing and she has been doing pretty good. It seems that whenever I finally post a question, things then work out! Next time I will just post sooner! anyhow..thanks for all the suggestions, I will still try some of them.

Mangai-I will definitely keep my eyes open for signs of silent reflux...but she hasn't gained a ton of weight, she's still a peanut.

Brittan-You are right...my dd HATES the carseat!! I have my 6 year old seated next to her to try and appease her, but it rarely helps! She pretty well screams from the moment we get in the van until the moment she is out of her seat! I can honestly say I hate shopping trips!! I am not comfortable nursing in a sling, but I will bring one along and use it next time so she can be out of her carseat, and see if it helps, thanks!

jenn123-You are also right...I do have a high needs baby, and she is the second one I've been 'blessed' with! My first dd was a LOT like this, but I gave up nursing her at 2.5 months...second dd was a breeze..she was such a good little baby...and now dd 3 arrives, and she is one to not be overly happy! I may start to bring a bottle with me to town sometimes, that is a good idea...just to get a BIT of a break, and get our trips done a bit faster so she can be home and happy again!

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Soon she will be old enough to really enjoy your older ones sitting next to her. When Thomas was a bit older he would love to have the Little girl in the car with us. Also we went ahead and put Thomas in his marathon at about 4 months BC he hated his baby car seat so much! You might want to consider putting her in another car seat to see if that helps, it is def worth the money if the crying in the car stops, and you will have to get a bigger one anyway...
    I only ask about the formula BC I was wondering about nipple confusion, does not sound like that is the case. Keep in touch!

is there any way you could have cut your calories over the past few weeks, causing your supplyto decrease? If she's not getting as much as she used to maybe instead of acting unsatisfyed she instead just wants to eat every hr or so...my LC told me that BF moms should get at least 1500 cal in order to keep adequate milk supply.
    Good luck!

Thanks for the replies...I thought today was going better...until we got further into the day ...anyhow...I have been eating the same as I always have, and drinking the same too, which I never drink all that much water. I don't know why all of a sudden it would affect me when it didn't before, but I'll try more water for a while and see if that helps...I am running out of ideas. I was out tonight, and my mil gave Senja a formula bottle, and she always seems more content after having one...could it be that there for some reason isn't enough of something in my milk to satisfy? I am just totally confused here...I'll keep trying...thanks for all the help and encouragement!

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06