Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: She's been on my boob ALL DAY!!!

Default She's been on my boob ALL DAY!!!

Ok so she'll be 3 weeks tomorrow - big girl - over 11 lbs now ...

She's been on my breast all day - I put her down, she's wailing (as she is right now because I'm taking wayyy to long posting this) .... You guys I'm serious ... All Dayyyyyy

So I nurse more, she'll suckle FOREVERRR

Can I be causing fussy-ness? (Maybe she's eating too much? Maybe her little stomach is upset and doesn't know she has to stop eating to make the pain go away?)...

Default Re: She's been on my boob ALL DAY!!!

Luke did that, and he ended up having reflux. He would have acid pain, and drinking the milk would soothe his tummy so he wanted to nurse ALL DAY LONG! I don't know if the same is true for you little one. Once he got his meds, he stopped doing that. HTH! Jennifer (P.S.-other signs of reflux are spitting up, too much weight gain or loss, arching of the back, fussiness while feeding, foul breath)

She's 3 weeks tomorrow? Then perhaps this is the infamous 3-week growth spurt.

You're not doing anything wrong -- just keep nursing on cue. It's hard, but I _promise_ it will not last forever. You can't overfeed a breastfed baby -- they have to work for their milk.

--Rebecca

Sounds like the 3 week growth spurt to me! I remember we had a really nice 3 hour rhythm down and then at 3 weeks everything went CRAZY! I promise that this to shall pass. If you do not have any other children I would get a big stack of magazines and or books, the remote control, snacks, and the phone and just sit on the couch while she does her "nurse a thon" If you have little ones that need your attention maybe you can try a sling. For some great ways to use your sling try www.mayawrap.com.

Sounds like you have a normal, healthy 3 week-old
    Brittan's suggestion to use a sling is a great one. I looked at this time as nature's way of forcing new mother's to have a good lie-down.
    Letting your baby to nurse on demand is really the best way to do it, even if its really ALLLL THE TIME!!!
    eventually, I learned to do everything with my dd in one hand or in the sling and on the breast - cooking, laundry (we hand-washed every single diaper, yes, really!), toilet, even yoga and capoeira!
    They grow out of it even faster than you think!

Overwhelmed first-timer--Please hold on. It was this exact time that I quit BF my DS out of fear that his continual crying meant he wasn't getting enough. You are doing the right thing!! She is feeding all day because that is stimulating your breasts to make more milk, which she needs to continue to grow--the ever so popular 3-week growth spurt you have most likely heard about a million times. I know it's not easy--but cuddle up with your little one, a big glass of water and a good book or two and enjoy it. I promise it'll be worth it in the end!
    Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed (6-19-04)
    Mommy to Ada Grace (arriving 7-7-06 via repeat c-section)
    Last edited by justin's mama; June 13th, 2006 at 05:38 AM.

Smile Re: She's been on my boob ALL DAY!!!

I know how you feel - dd did the same thing. I remember being really bored for a lot of it - also because at three weeks I wasn't really up to doing a whole lot myself - still recovering from labour! My Mom bought me a book on tape, which worked great. As a first time Mom with a newborn I couldn't use my hands a whole lot, and as I said, I wasn't very mobile. But I could start and stop the tape (not CD) at exactly the spot I left it. At three months I've progressed to books Here's the thing to remember, you're doing the right thing, and this is such a short time of your relationship with ds, just cherish it. My friend told me when I approached her with this same complaint that bfing isn't like nursing a newborn the whole time. And it's true! I have a frequent nurser (and am blessed with a dh who waits on me while I nurse) and everyone kept telling me it was too much for me, I needed to encourage her to space out the feedings. I didn't find this necessary and preferred to let her eat as she was hungry, even if for only five minutes - sometimes I only want a snack, not a whole meal, why should this little person be different? As part of dietary problems I have I tend to eat little bits here and there all day as opposed to three large meals. My doctor and a nurse told me this is actually a healthier way to eat than our society's way. He told me to encourage it in my daughter.
    Keep it up!

Yup-think it's that growth spurt-I couldn't put Abbey down from 2.5-3.5 weeks-she did nothing but cry and nurse, and man, she nursed around the clock-pretty much every hour!!! It's so stressful, but it will pass, just in time for the 6 week growth spurt!!!