Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: extended bfing

Default extended bfing

DD is 12 months old now and I have enjoyed bfing her (i never htought i would say that!) anyway, i would like to continue b/c i enjoy it, i think it's good for her and it was recommended we continue until 2 b/c she has a milk allergy. lately i have noticed my supply seems to be decreasing (at least my pumping output has gone down - and i have to pump for her day care milk). i have had a bad cold, could it be the culprit? i never noticed my supple dipping before from an illness.

also, how to ensure that we make it to the 24 month mark? i was told we need to nurse at least 3 times a day to give her enough calcium, but lately, i feel like 2 of her 5 bfs a day are not really wanted/needed by her.

any suggestions? she is in day care half days in the afternoon and has 3 sold food meals a day. her height/weight are in the 75th percentile and she's doing really well.

Default Re: extended bfing

Myabe the low supply is due to returning period? Was is just a dip? Could be illness or even some stress too. I think after a year they say your supply is pretty established and dips in supply will easily come back up.

BFing 3-4 times a day is enough for the calcium, etc., but maybe less if she's getting cheese, yogurt, or other good sources. So even if she drops 2 of the 5, sounds like enough still.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ler-foods.html

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

my period returned for the first time last week - i was shocked. but i was able to pump better last week. i could get about 4.5 oz a session and now i am down to 2 at a push.

unfortunately, i am her only source of dairy due to her allergy. so, no yogurts or cheeses for her. that's why i am concerned about what appears to be self-weaning somewhat?

Maybe some other moms can share about period related dips as I just got mine recently too. I think there can be dips at more times than once in the cycle and if it just started there is probably alot of weird hormone adjustment going on. My PMS and normal cycle issues (zits) have been all out of whack from what I used to have. Ladies?

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

Can she have soya? There are some quite decent soya yoghurts on the market, plus things like soya custard, cheese etc. You could use soya milk or rice milk (you can get added calcium varieties) in cooking too.
    The vegan society website contains some useful information on non dairy sources of calcium too. http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...on/calcium.php
    Some fish are good calcium sources too.
    Hopefully your supply will increase as you recover from your cold. It sounds like your daughter is thriving anyway - try not to worry too much and get well soon.

My DS is allergic to cow milk in all forms, but he CAN have soy. So he eats soy yogurt and gets fortified soy milk at preschool.

Here is some info about non-dairy calcium sources.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I believe illnesses and your menstrual cycle do cause temporary dips in supply. Just keep doing what you are doing

My DD just turned 1. I have also noticed that sometimes she does not seem too interested in nursing. I think she would rather play. Sometimes I encourage her to nurse while other times I don't. In your case, with the allergy, you may want to continue to encourage her to nurse. Also, have you talked with your ped/allergist about bf and the allergy. My DD does not have an allergy so I was told by my ped said that I could stop pumping if I wanted and introduce whole milk but no more than 2 cups a day. I would think that a couple of nursing sessions would easily fulfill the amount of calcium that your lo would otherwise be getting from 2 cups of milk
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

With the return of periods, it is my understanding that MANY moms experience no changes in supply, SOME experience temporary dips in supply monthly which rebound with continued nursing. Personally, my supply seemed to gradually and permanently decrease after my cycle returned despite around the clock nursing. Granted I still had a lot of milk - it didn't completely go away - but there was a definite decrease and my supply no longer met DS's demand. My experience seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Regardless, I was able to increase my supply by taking fenugreek.

I think that many toddlers show a decreased interest in nursing around a year because they are busy doing so many other things. Often, though, interest increases again after awhile. I think you should be fine if you just keep offering and encourage a few quiet nursing sessions together each day (maybe go to a separate room or something to remove distraction.

Congratulations on making it to one year!