Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CONSTANT constipation

Default Re: CONSTANT constipation

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    ITs ok to cut out all solids and just nurse in a baby under a year untill their poops are beter and then slowly add in the solids again...
    This is what I did (EBF) with DD from about 9 - 11 months... unfortunately, it didn't help. She reacted the same way when introducing them the 2nd time around. We have tried a million and one ideas to help her. Our best results so far have been with scaling back on the fruit & veggies and trying to get much more protein and fat in with meat and soups (made with bone broth & butter or olive oil). We have always limited grains but are being extra vigilent to continue.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    This is what I did (EBF) with DD from about 9 - 11 months... unfortunately, it didn't help. She reacted the same way when introducing them the 2nd time around. We have tried a million and one ideas to help her. Our best results so far have been with scaling back on the fruit & veggies and trying to get much more protein and fat in with meat and soups (made with bone broth & butter or olive oil). We have always limited grains but are being extra vigilent to continue.
    Meat is ok for a 9-mo old? I thought I read that I should wait. I haven't hurried to intro it because it is SUPER expensive from the organic store here. I mean...4 breasts of chicken for $15. We do eggs. I haven't tofu because of the soy allergy thing (I'm allergic to a lot + fish + shellfish.)
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

I would think it wouldn't hurt to try if baby is in pain....
    sometimes that's a sign that thier little tummies just aren't ready for solids.
    Does baby have teeth.?
    I always waited for meats untill baby had teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaUAE View Post
    Meat is ok for a 9-mo old? I thought I read that I should wait. I haven't hurried to intro it because it is SUPER expensive from the organic store here. I mean...4 breasts of chicken for $15. We do eggs. I haven't tofu because of the soy allergy thing (I'm allergic to a lot + fish + shellfish.)
    Eggs are wonderful, especially if you can get them direct from the farmer (HUGE difference compared to store-bought eggs). You only want to feed babe the yolk though, since the white is allergenic. Best way is to boil them so that the white comes off completely, particularly with a history of allergies in the family.

Meat is great too. Have you tried buying the whole chicken? Ours (organic) are <$2/lb. Boil up the whole thing for as long as you can/want, and you have a nutritious broth for soups and cooking other foods. That way the meat is soooo soft, it is perfect for a LO to chew on. It also makes great chicken salad!

I wouldn't recommend tofu. Soy doesn't have the right balance of fats and you basically run into the same issue as with grains.

this sounds a lot like what's been happening with our LO, who is almost 9 months. on and off constipation. feeding lots of fruits, veggies, prunes, water, etc. it's getting better but i'm afraid to feed him starchy foods like grains, sweet potatoes, bananas, etc. b/c those are supposed to constipate.

i want to feed him some broth, as people are suggesting. how do you make it, and do you add any salt? also, how does your baby eat the broth? with a spoon?

thanks!!

Here you go! http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/broth.html

Sea salt to taste.

You can spoon it for your LO, just make sure to have an extra spoon for him to use too...or mix it in with other foods like cooked veggies. I like to put cooked chicken in some broth in the fridge to keep it moist while we use it up during the week.

thanks for the link to the article and recipes!! awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    With my DD I've found the best thing to get her to have soft easy poops (not big ones - that indicates the colon is being stretched out) on a regular basis is meat and soup, made with butter and olive oil for good fats
    Do you know any baby friendly good soup recipes? I'm knew to the cooking thing.

My dd use to get constipated all the time since we introduced solids 3 months ago. It was so painful to see her struggling to poop Prunes and juice didn't help her either.

Steel cut irish oatmeal keeps her really regular. And when she doesn't eat oatmeal and hasn't pooped in a day, I'll steam up some broccoli and she's good to go in about half a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan's Mommy View Post
    Do you know any baby friendly good soup recipes? I'm knew to the cooking thing.
    I use the recipes in "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon as a guide, but then kind of wing it on the exact ingredients. I also tend to saute the veggies (mushrooms are yummy) in butter & olive oil prior to adding the stock and simmering with the meat. Tastes better and gets more fat in my babe that way.

BTW, I am totally new to cooking too! Soup is about the only thing I make on a regular basis. I brew up a big pot while I'm home on the weekends and refrigerate. Then I can just heat up on the stove for lunch or dinner during the week (I work). It freezes well too, but I usually eat it to quick for that.