Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the cup

Smile Introducing the cup

My dd is 10 months old and I am having trouble with her wanting to hold the sippy cup. She wants to drink out of it as long as I am holding it but has no desire to hold it herself. Any ideas you can give me to get her to hold the cup would be help.

Thanks
    Megan

Default Re: Introducing the cup

Try filling one partially with lentil or beans, secure the lid, and let her play with it. (Be sure to supervise, of course.) I found that my son caught on to holding cups, spoons, etc pretty easily when I let him play with them a lot before trying to use them for their intended purpose.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzomama View Post
    Try filling one partially with lentil or beans, secure the lid, and let her play with it. (Be sure to supervise, of course.) I found that my son caught on to holding cups, spoons, etc pretty easily when I let him play with them a lot before trying to use them for their intended purpose.

Good luck!
    -We help her with it at meals and we put a separate sippy on the floor with water and kept it out all day for her to play with whenever she felt like. She now picks up and tries to drink from sippy on floor but still hasn't figured out to tilt it

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

I would just keep putting it in front of her and she will probably pick it up at some point on her own- if only just to play with it.

Nora got interested in her sippy when we put a piece of ice in it- she could play with it like a rattle that way.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

DD's going to be 1 next week and she still hasn't learned how to hold a sippy on her own yet. Besides that, she just learned how to DRINK out of it consistently within the past week or so. lol
    Andrea, wife to Tim, mama to Lydia, born 5 December '06 (weaned at 28 months, ) Benjamin Luke born at home 5 days late on 10/10/09

my Blog . . my Play Food

We took the valve out at first, so that he could understand water would come out and that he had to tip it up. Once he got the hang of that, we put the valve back in, and he does great with it. Just lately (hes almost 1) when DH or I take a drink of water, he looks for his sippy cup to copy us.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I was wondering why you decided to use a sippy intead of a cup w straw? There are lots of spill proof versions that are easy to grip.

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMama View Post
    I was wondering why you decided to use a sippy intead of a cup w straw? There are lots of spill proof versions that are easy to grip.
    Either way, I don't really see any reason to force it.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I hated the straw cups...they were a pain to clean! Different strokes for different folks.

My twins, although introduced to sippies well under a year, didn't start drinking out of them until they were 18 months old. My youngest got the hang of his at 9 months old. Just be patient. It'll happen!

straw cups get that weird capillary action deal, when the room is warmer then the liquid..

Agree take out the value.. and toss it.. they are hard to clean.
    My last two used the cups with out the value in..
    IT can spill but it's easier for them to drink out of..
    The sippy with a value is just like a bottle they have to suck on.