Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm seriously considering....

Default I'm seriously considering....

Pumping out a little glass of milk for DD each day. She has been completely weaned for almost three months, but I can still express milk. There is very, very little, but I got the crazy idea that I could get back enough supply to just pump some for her each day just to give her that extra boost of benefits through the flu season. I'm not interested in going back to regular nursing. Thoughts?

Default Re: I'm seriously considering....

if it works for you go for it...

Your daughter is just precious! I think that as long as you don't mind the commitment, then you should go for it. You will most likely be able to build up your supply the more you pump and there is no better protection during flu season than the immunities from your own breastmilk. I pump 4 times a day and have been fortunate to pump a total of 24-30 oz. I've been doing this from the beginning though. Hopefully with consistency you will only need to pump once a day, but will need to do so more in the beginning then taper off. KWIM? GL!

I don't think it's crazy at all. Good luck!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks ladies! I'm still trying to decide. I just really miss that feeling that she's ingesting something *really* good for her, KWIM? And with the illnesses flying around, days where she won't eat much, etc., I'd really feel it gave her some extra protection and nutrition. I don't want to go back to nursing because I don't want to wean her again, but I haven't dried up, and I still have my Medela hand pump - so it just seems like a "why not" thing, you know?

I think thats a great idea!!
    Good luck!
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    Thanks ladies! I'm still trying to decide. I just really miss that feeling that she's ingesting something *really* good for her, KWIM? And with the illnesses flying around, days where she won't eat much, etc., I'd really feel it gave her some extra protection and nutrition. I don't want to go back to nursing because I don't want to wean her again, but I haven't dried up, and I still have my Medela hand pump - so it just seems like a "why not" thing, you know?
    I know exactly what you mean! I was seriously considering pumping some milk for my almost 5-yr old, who has been weaned since 6 mos, because he's fighting a cold. I haven't pumped in months, though, and he seems to be getting better.
    Along the same lines, one of the many reasons I've chosen to continue with one feeding for DD at this point is because of the cold/flu season.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I've been giving Kate a cup of expressed milk here and there and she loves it so much. It's still warm when I give it to her, she says, "yummy milk!" and drinks it up, following with, "more! more! more!".

So, Kate says "go for it!":tumbsup
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    I've been giving Kate a cup of expressed milk here and there and she loves it so much. It's still warm when I give it to her, she says, "yummy milk!" and drinks it up, following with, "more! more! more!".

So, Kate says "go for it!":tumbsup
    I plan to do this with Connor too.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I say, why not?! What a lucky little girl to have a mommy like you...
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09