Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: After 2 yrs Aunt Flo is back - any advice?

Question After 2 yrs Aunt Flo is back - any advice?

My last menstrual cycle was Dec 2005 and I got pregnant in Jan 2006. Now my LO is 14 months old and I just got my period today. My milk production has been a good bit down the past 4 days and I normally have so much that I'm a milk donor. I thought it was low b/c I am leaving town at the end of the week and will be away from my LO for a week and I am stressed about it. Could my supply be down because I am getting my period or did my period begin because my milk supply is down? It just started tonight and I'm not happy to have it back.

Is there anything special I need to do now that I am cycling again. Is this a sign of my LO weaning? She has been reducing our 9:30pm nursing session from a real feeding to a small suckling. I always said I would let her decide to wean when she wants to do so but I'm not sure I am ready for it.

Any advice would be great! (Any suggestions on how to get rid of my period again would be great too)
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: After 2 yrs Aunt Flo is back - any advice?

It's normal for production to dip *temporarily* during your period.

No, it wasn't because your production was lower (your production was lower b/c of your cycle returning!).

No, it doesn't mean your baby is weaning.

Here's some info (including wha tto do for dip in production):
    http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/menstruation.html

HTH!

One sure fire way of stopping your period again is to get pregnant again!

Quote Originally Posted by tamarama View Post
    One sure fire way of stopping your period again is to get pregnant again!
    One part of me would like it but I'm not sure we are ready for another LO yet!
    Last edited by @llli*mary.mud; November 27th, 2007 at 10:13 AM. Reason: I spell like a monkey!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk