Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping Nicely Through Night

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Sleeping Nicely Through Night

I posted this on the sleep forum as well, as I didn't know if posting it here or there would be better.

My six-month old son is sleeping well through the night, usually only waking once for a feeding. The only problem with this is that my supply seems to dip. So do I need to pump at night when I get up to feed him?

Default Re: Sleeping Nicely Through Night

I pump right before bed (10pm) and feed my son. Then he'll wake me up around 4am, I feed him via bottle of pumped milk and I go back to bed. I'm up at 6am and the first thing I do (besides go to the bathroom ) is go pump. I exclusively pump and bottle feed b/c he has acid reflux and I can keep him elevated that way. I almost always feel engorged since I'm waiting from 10pm to 6am, but I always produce enough milk in the mornings to give him 2-3 meals! I can pump about 12-14 oz. in the mornings. The first few days I did this, I was extremely engorged and in pain (sometimes getting up before 6am just to pump to relieve myself), but after a week, the pain subsided and now my body knows my routine and the engorgement isn't bad. So I would think that your body will eventually respond to your demands, and your supply will sustain! I wouldn't get up and feed, then pump, unless you feel like you absolutely have to! But a well rested mommy is a lactating mommy.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Sleeping Nicely Through Night

Much of this sounds too familiar! I would feed my baby at 8:30 just before he goes to sleep. I usually become engorged by the time he wakes up to eat around 4 , but when I noticed that not happening recently, I became concerned that my body was starting to produce less...you know, less demand=less supply. I'd wake up in the morning expecting engorgement like I had been getting and my breasts would be rather soft.

He can sense this, I think, so he disrupts his own sleep to nurse, so that demand will stay up.

Sorry about your son's reflux. I have so much respect for mommies who stick with it-bf-when their babies spit-up so much. Kuddos to you!
    Last edited by mommamags; November 26th, 2007 at 08:52 PM.