Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not enough Milk

Default Not enough Milk

My baby is about two weeks old. The last couple of nights he will scream for hours non stop. I though he was gasy or colic. I am trying to rid of dairy to help. But tonight he started freaking out. He has been feeding on cue every two hours. This was about an hour after he ate. Anyways, I ended up feeding him again. This was still not enough so I took out the formula and he eat it and went to bed. I dont think at night I am making enough milk. Does this happen? What should I do?

The pump I got stinks and I am going to have to buy a new one. When I pump it hardly works.

Default Re: Not enough Milk

and congratulations on your little one

What you're describing sounds fairly typical - but it is certinaly distressing, isn't it. I can almost bet it is not because you don't have enough milk... how is his urine and poop output? You can check here to see if it seems he's getting enough.

Check out some of the info on this page and this page and see if anything looks helpful with regard to the fussy times.

Keep us posted.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I always thought that we produced MORE milk at night. It could be just a growing spurt. He might be getting you primed for what's to come. It's a good thing that you had some formula on hand, but breastmilk would be better!

What you need to do to get a "stash" of BM; after he eats in the morning, go pump the rest of it out. My 3 month old sleeps 6 hours a night, so I have some collected up in my breasts, but I can get about 3-4 feedings out of my morning pumps (I exclusively pump). So you should be able to get about 1 extra feeding if you pump after he eats. Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by BigboysMom View Post
    My baby is about two weeks old. The last couple of nights he will scream for hours non stop. I though he was gasy or colic. I am trying to rid of dairy to help. But tonight he started freaking out. He has been feeding on cue every two hours. This was about an hour after he ate. Anyways, I ended up feeding him again. This was still not enough so I took out the formula and he eat it and went to bed. I dont think at night I am making enough milk. Does this happen? What should I do?

The pump I got stinks and I am going to have to buy a new one. When I pump it hardly works.
    We are also at two weeks, here are a couple of things I have learned from the forums.

DW will feed for 10 minutes and LO will completely zonk out. We put her down and 10 minutes later she will wake up again hungry. DW keeps saying it is because she doesnt have enough milk. But I can squeeze her breast and milk immediately comes out. Basically I think LO is either going through the 3 week growth spurt, or is being lazy.

LO is also crying a lot more, it becomes obvious that she is hungry though as she roots immediately if I am holding her (she tries to get milk from my shirt) or sucks on her fist or does the little head shake if you put your finger near her mouth (very cute!)

In any case you are not alone! DW also believes she doesnt have enough milk and wants to supplement with formula. I think Ive made progress now so she knows it is ok to feed for 30 minutes stop for 15 then feed for 20 or more etc. Eventually LO gets enough and will sleep for a few hours.

Have you heard of "evenings only" colic? It's very common for a baby to have a very fussy or colicky period right before bedtime. My daughter would start screaming at 7:00 on the dot. She would try to feed, but would get frustrated and unlatch. The screaming would continue until 9:00 or 10:00, when she was finally exhausted enough to fall asleep.

Here's my personal theory about evenings only colic, and what I found helpful: in the evenings, when mom is tired and ready for sleep, the milk can let down much more slowly. The breast is never truly empty, so there's still milk, but it's coming out at a much slower rate than earlier in the day. The baby is tired and maybe isn't nursing as effectively, and she gets frustrated and starts to cry. Since the baby is too tired to eat and too hungry to go to sleep, the screaming lasts until she finally falls asleep from sheer exhaustion.

My husband and I resorted to an evening bottle of pumped milk to deal with the "unhappy hour." We had it warmed up and ready to go on the dot at 7:00, and if our daughter didn't take to nursing after a few minutes, my husband would feed her the pumped milk while I sat down and pumped the next night's bottle. Eventually, around 3 months, our daughter grew out of her colicky evenings and her need for the bottle. Of course, this all was made possible by having a really good pump. I had a hospital-grade rental pump which cost $2 per day, which seemed expensive at the time but in the long run was far cheaper than formula.

Hang in there!

Thanks for the help. I do think he is going through a growth spurt. Today all he wanted to do was eat. I went out and got a better pump so tommorrow I am going to start stocking up.

Pumping to have a stash is not a bad idea, but feeding with bottles is! Just keep him at the breast as long and as often as he wants. If he is having enough poopy and wet diapers then feeding bottles will not help the situation. In fact, it could really only make things worse (they really don't sound bad to begin with, just a normal 2-week old figuring everything out)!

Good luck, you're doing great!