Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: color of poop

Default color of poop

Hi again

I read that a BF baby's poop should be yellow/caramel color. It has been yellow but in the past few days, it has changed to green. What does this mean? My newborn has surgury last weeks so I am very worried. I hope it is not serious but any ideas why it changed to green? Also she poops ALOT. I changed her 3 times in the past hour (she just ate). Is that normal??

Default Re: color of poop

Might be diahrrea. Is she on any post-op medications? It can be normal to have the occasional green poop and/or frequent poop. It can also be a sign of a food sensitivity or tummy troubles. Antibiotics often cause it. How is her diaper output? At least 5-6 wets a day is what you want to see to know she's not dehydrated. If you're concerned, don't hesitate to call the ped. Even if it's for peace of mind, it'll well worth it.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

My 3 month old son poops A LOT! He is completely breastfed and probably has 5-6 poopy diapers a day. When they've been green, it's usually from a tummy problem. He's allergic to cow's milk, so I quit eating it and the green color went away. But if she just had surgery, it could be a medicine reaction too (not a bad reaction, just her body trying to get rid of the meds properly). You might want to call your ped just to be on the safe side!

she has poop in her diaper about 6 times a day but in the past couple of days it has doubled. she had antibiotics but stopped over a week ago. she was fine while taking them. I don't think she would have a reaction a week later do you? It must be tummy trouble because she has spit up and she is a bit more gassy and fussy lately. I use to eat ceral everyday and she was fine with the milk but lately just eating a slice of cheese and some yogurt. maybe she has changed and is now not tolerating cow's milk...thanks

If it's diahrrea you will know because it will smell horribly. Just because it's green doesn't necessarily mean she's got the runs. Baby poop can be yellow-green, runny, seedy, etc... lots of variations.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by brookesmom View Post
    Hi again

I read that a BF baby's poop should be yellow/caramel color. It has been yellow but in the past few days, it has changed to green. What does this mean? My newborn has surgury last weeks so I am very worried. I hope it is not serious but any ideas why it changed to green? Also she poops ALOT. I changed her 3 times in the past hour (she just ate). Is that normal??
    LO is in her 3rd week. We used to have bright yellow seedy poop. But lately we have been getting more of a greenish smear. Poop can be as often as this:

Clean poop, feed, clean poop, feed some more, clean poop one more time. My record is probably 3 diapers in 15 minutes.

It isnt always like this, just every once in awhile.

We are still mixing in formula every once in awhile (2 ounces per day I would say) because I am still trying to convince DW, that if LO falls asleep while BF (i.e. we think she is full) and we put her down and she immediately wakes up hungry it doesnt mean DW is low on milk. If DW didnt have any milk, LO wouldnt fall asleep. DW wants to supplement with formula in those cases, I want her to just put to BF again.

LC said it could be not getting enough hindmilk or the formula (although we have been using some formula all along)

Quote Originally Posted by NewFather View Post

Clean poop, feed, clean poop, feed some more, clean poop one more time. My record is probably 3 diapers in 15 minutes.

It isnt always like this, just every once in awhile.
    The longest we have been without a poop is 4 hours. DW got worried and I told her not to worry, but to expect a blowout on the next one. Sure enough the next one was the biggest poop ever.

Ah, those newborn poop days seem so far away now. I remember the days of going through a zillion diapers in an hour! I only wish we'd switched to cloth sooner. We would've saved a bundle!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

My son has been having green poopies too, although he has never gone that many times in a row.. the amount seems to have increased per diaper however the times he goes have decreased, he is about 6 wks now.
    I was just at the ped today for our weekly weight check and mentioned the green poopy and the fact that he is very fussy during his BM and to conclude we are going to be taking some measures to see if its some sort of sensitivity. The ped did not however seem worried at all, there is no mucous or blood and so it can be quite common.
    For your LO the thing I would worry about is the amount and if it smelled foul, if it was diarrhea.
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

We had almost neon green liquidy poops without any of the little fatty seedy things in them. In our case, it was because she was getting too much of my foremilk and not enough fatty hindmilk. I started feeding her twice on each breast, and now it's back to normal.

Hope your baby isn't sick. Hope it all gets sorted out.