Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four year old nursing?

Default Four year old nursing?

My daughter turns four tomorrow. And just last night, she began pretending to nurse. She doesn't actually nurse, but she pretends to, and it kinda creeps me out. I don't want her to feel bad, but I am not sure how to handle this situation, and I really can't have her begin nursing, because her father would freak out. HELP! this is new.

Default Re: Four year old nursing?

What exactly does she do? Is she weaned?

My daughter - who will be 4 in Jan - did this a couple of weeks ago. (Ironic, considering she never latched on before in her life!) One morning when I was nursing the baby in bed, Morgan started asking to try to drink milk "from your breasts". I knew it would completely freak DH out so I told her that she could try just for a minute and if she really wanted some milk I could put it in a cup for her. She gave it a couple sucks, laughed and went on with her day. She did the same thing the next morning. She hasn't asked again since. I think not making a big deal out of it was the key for her.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    What exactly does she do? Is she weaned?
    Well, last night, after her sister was asleep, she laid next to me, put her mouth on the skin of my breast, and pretended to suck, not on the nipple or anything. then this afternoon, when baby was nursing, she put her head right next to her sisters, and sucked on my skin again. She doesn't latch on.
    She was weaned at about 17 months.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyN View Post
    My daughter - who will be 4 in Jan - did this a couple of weeks ago. (Ironic, considering she never latched on before in her life!) One morning when I was nursing the baby in bed, Morgan started asking to try to drink milk "from your breasts". I knew it would completely freak DH out so I told her that she could try just for a minute and if she really wanted some milk I could put it in a cup for her. She gave it a couple sucks, laughed and went on with her day. She did the same thing the next morning. She hasn't asked again since. I think not making a big deal out of it was the key for her.
    did that feel strange to you?

when I started nursing baby #2, my 2 and a half year old, who hadn't nursed more than a few days in her entire life, got to be curious. I allowed her to try to nurse, even though it felt weird to me. she put her mouth on my breast and that was enough. She never asked again. I think that the toddler thinks the baby is getting something special that the toddler can't have. Once you take the "it's the baby's" out of the picture by offering it to the toddler, it's no longer forbidden so they can try and then go on their way.

Quote Originally Posted by zoewmu View Post
    when I started nursing baby #2, my 2 and a half year old, who hadn't nursed more than a few days in her entire life, got to be curious. I allowed her to try to nurse, even though it felt weird to me. she put her mouth on my breast and that was enough. She never asked again. I think that the toddler thinks the baby is getting something special that the toddler can't have. Once you take the "it's the baby's" out of the picture by offering it to the toddler, it's no longer forbidden so they can try and then go on their way.
    So true! My dd asked a few times and I would hold her like I do my ds and she would just "pretend". She did ths a few times, never latched, and yes it was weird for me. But ultimately I think she just wanted to know that she could, adn when she knew she wasn't missing out, it lost the novelty of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mommajoliska View Post
    did that feel strange to you?
    Physically, yes, very strange. She didn't "latch on" correctly so it was weird and I was very worried about her biting me! Just lasted a few seconds though.
    It made me feel sad too, thinking of all that she missed out on because of my failures.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

What about offering to hold her like a baby and make a big deal out of it? It may just be some feelings of being left out and not getting the same sort of attention. If you fell uncomfortable about it she may pick up on it.

I kind of held her like a baby, but she didn't like that very much. She's trying to be a big girl, but still wants to be a baby. She is the baby at her dad's but the oldest here at home.