Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dairy?

Default Dairy?

My ds is almost 8 months old and can't get enough of solid food. He loves everything and gets so excited he kicks his feet and bounces up and down, smiling all the while. We've been feeding him lots of fruits and veggies, some chicken and turkey, and wheat toast and cheerios. He's pretty good at self-feeding. I was just wondering about introducing dairy into his diet? More and more I want to feed him what we're eating and he's shown no sign of allergy yet, but I heard to hold off on dairy until 1 year? And berries as well. Is there good reason to wait? Thank yoU!

Default Re: Dairy?

Yogut and cheese are usually ok at 9 mo, but cow's milk needs to wait for the full first year. Cow's milk can cause intestinal bleeding in infants under one year and too much of any diary can interfere with the absorption of iron.

The thing is, though, that so long as he's still nursing lots, he doesn't need diary. It's entirely unnessacary to give dairy even after 12 mo so long as the child is still nursing at least 3-4 times in 24 hours.

I can understand wanting to let the baby eat what you eat. We let ds try things like mashed potatoes and mac and cheese that had cow's milk in them before he was a year and he did totally ok with them; I figured it was ok since it was such a small amount that he would actually be eating. He is now 14 mo and we still don't ever give him cow's milk as a beverage and I never really plan to any time in the forseeable future.

Just remember as you're offering solids that breastmilk should remain the primary source of nutrition throughout the entire first year. Nurse before solids and watch his diaper output to be sure he's still making enough wets and that his poops aren't hard or dry.

Hope this helps.

With regard to berries, you will want to wait with at least strawberries till after a year (they're highly allergenic too). Blueberries and raspberries should be ok.

I agree with what feorsteorra said about dairy - its really not necessary.

Also Honey is not supposed to be given to babies, and nuts too.
    Honey can contain bacterial spores that can make a baby less than 12 months very sick,
    and nuts are a no-no because babies can easily choke on them, even if they are cut up finely - there is a risk that a small piece of a nut can catch on the flap that opens and closes between the oesophagus and the trachea and be inhaled, causing the baby to choke. I think this is a risk until the age of 2. I didnt use to take it seriously but then I met a woman who became hysterical when i told someone that i dont worry about giving nuts - her younger brother had died this way - a week after eating the nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by CJmama
    Blueberries and raspberries should be ok.
    I thought raspberries should wait until closer to 12 mo do to the seeds. But I do know blueberries are totally fine from 6 mo.