Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nurses almost nonstop from 5pm - 12am

Question Nurses almost nonstop from 5pm - 12am

Felicity is 1 week old and has been nursing like a champ since she was born. But...

From the time we wake up in the morning until 5 or so at night she nurses, almost like clockwork, every 2 hours, sleeping in between. Then around 5 she wants to nurse almost nonstop. She will nurse, fall asleep and let go, I set her down, and in about 5 minutes she is crying to nurse again. It doesn't matter if I do one side or both...she seems unable to get enough and does this until around midnight...last night was until 1am. After this period, she will sleep for 3 hours, nurse both sides, and sleep another 3 hours until morning.

1. Is this normal or am I doing anything wrong?
    2. Can I increase my supply during this time?
    3. Any idea how long this will go on? I'm exhausted from only getting 5-6 hours of sleep a night.

Thanks
    Katherine
    DD - Cecilia Bernadette - 1/29/06

DD - Felicity Catherine - 11/19/07
    The Whispering Rose

The Journey of a New Life

Default Re: Nurses almost nonstop from 5pm - 12am

It doesn't sound abnormal to me. It's pretty early for any kind of patterns to truly establish themselves and it seems like it takes a few weeks for babies to adjust to life, and time, 'on the outside.' I'd give it some more time before worrying about whether you can change anything about it -- it may just change on its own! (BTW, we're at 7 months and I would give my right arm for 5 or 6 hours of sleep... not really, but only getting 5 or 6 hours sleep a night for a breastfeeding mom this early is pretty common.) Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by MommytoCecilia View Post
    1. Is this normal or am I doing anything wrong?
    Nope, it's challenging to put up with, but probably normal. I had the hardest time with this. It also made me nervous that I didn't have enough milk since my breasts seemed so empty, but once you understand what's really going on it all makes sense. Please read this:

Cluster Feeding and Fussy Evenings

2. Can I increase my supply during this time?
    Yes, by nursing like crazy. Hey wait a minute... But seriously, it's a good idea to check out this link anyway, because it explains how you can tell if your baby is getting enough milk. And almost more importantly, it tells you what signs DON'T mean your supply is low. It's confusing sometimes, and it's better to avoid needless worrying.

Increasing Low Milk Supply

3. Any idea how long this will go on? I'm exhausted from only getting 5-6 hours of sleep a night.
    Hang in there. The old cliche about sleeping when the baby sleeps-- really make an effort to do that, even though I know it's tempting to grab some "you" time instead of sleeping while the baby is napping. This time will pass so quickly, and months down the line it will all be a blur and believe it or not you'll miss having such a tiny one. You won't remember the hard times so much, or the crushing fatigue, it's just a phase and it won't be too long. Hard to say exactly, but I think I turned the corner around week 7, but that is a lot later than most. I think that things got better gradually, and at the same time I got better at coping with less sleep.

The other thing you might want to make yourself aware of is the common times for growth spurts. Those often throw new mamas for a loop.

Growth Spurts

Congratulations on your new baby!!! It's quite an adjustment, and I have to say the beginning was toughest. Everything got so much easier over the course of the year since I had my daughter.
    Last edited by Google316; November 26th, 2007 at 07:15 PM.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Wow! At that stage I was only getting about 3 hours a night if I was lucky, but I was really sick as well. Don't panic too much.. your little one will start sleeping longer between feeds and you will be a little more in your groove in a few weeks.

Hang in there! And get other people to help you out as much as possible.

My son did the same thing hang in there it will get better. I know firsthand how hard it is nursing nonstop like that..you dont get anything done within that time frame. What can you say she is a frowing girl!

Thanks everyone. Last night she nursed nonstop from about 4:30 until 9. Then she slept in 1 1/2 - 3 hour incriments. I went to bed at 9 and Felicity and I didn't get fully up until 8 this morning. So even though she was up about 5 or 6 times last night, I still got about 8 hours of sleep last night, which I desperately needed. I have a nasty head cold and a 22 month old, Cecilia, with the same head cold and an ear infection. Hence why sleep, even broken sleep, is so important for everyone right now.

I don't know if she is nursing so much just because she is a newborn, or having a growth spurt, or fighting this cold my mother brought during Thanksgiving, or mybe, being the end of the day, my supply is just lower. I did make an extra effort to drink more water yeasterday - maybe that is why her nonstop period ended earlier.
    Katherine
    DD - Cecilia Bernadette - 1/29/06

DD - Felicity Catherine - 11/19/07
    The Whispering Rose

The Journey of a New Life

Totally normal. Hang in there. Try to nap with her in the day if possible.