Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Making organic yogurt

Default Making organic yogurt

I know there have been several posts about making one's own yogurt. I'm wondering if there were any tips, suggestions on types of yogurt machines, etc. I'm thinking of asking for one for Christmas from my Mom. I think I need a maker because it's about 65 degrees in our house during the winter! Too cold to do it the old fashioned way.

I give LO organic yogurt. The only larger tubs I can find are $3.19+ a tub. I can buy a gallon of organic milk for $4.00.

The yogurt in them is also really soft. I have to add grains to it. I'd also like to try to make soy yogurt. Anyone with experience out there??

Default Re: Making organic yogurt

Are you talking about bm yogurt? I saw this link but haven't tried it

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv...d/?msg=46557.2
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Quote Originally Posted by BabyChristopher View Post
    Are you talking about bm yogurt? I saw this link but haven't tried it

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv...d/?msg=46557.2
    I wish!! I don't pump anymore during the day. The supply was too low. I nurse LO am and all pm!

I have a Europro yogurt maker. It has seven glass yogurt cups, about 7 oz each. I wish I had the option of making one large batch, but, whatever, it works. The Amazon.com Friday sale often has a salton 1 qt yogurt maker for only ten dollars. I think the liner is plastic, which I don't want. I think you could easily replace it with a glass canning jar. Basically, all you need is something that will keep the yogurt warm enough for long enough. I have used a heating pad on low under the jar with a towel over the top...
    If the yogurt seems too thin, you can add nonfat milk powder to the cooled sterile milk. Powdered milk is already sterile, and it seems to dissolve funny if I add it to hot milk. Also, using starter instead of old yogurt seems to help mine to set up better if I am using really old yogurt. Also, if I buy cheap yogurt with lots of additives, the yogurt I make from it is bad.
    Homemade yogurt is much more mild than store bought. If you are looking for more tang, just let it culture longer.
    Happy yogurt making!
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

Quote Originally Posted by ashlee1954 View Post
    I have a Europro yogurt maker. It has seven glass yogurt cups, about 7 oz each. I wish I had the option of making one large batch, but, whatever, it works. The Amazon.com Friday sale often has a salton 1 qt yogurt maker for only ten dollars. I think the liner is plastic, which I don't want. I think you could easily replace it with a glass canning jar. Basically, all you need is something that will keep the yogurt warm enough for long enough. I have used a heating pad on low under the jar with a towel over the top...
    If the yogurt seems too thin, you can add nonfat milk powder to the cooled sterile milk. Powdered milk is already sterile, and it seems to dissolve funny if I add it to hot milk. Also, using starter instead of old yogurt seems to help mine to set up better if I am using really old yogurt. Also, if I buy cheap yogurt with lots of additives, the yogurt I make from it is bad.
    Homemade yogurt is much more mild than store bought. If you are looking for more tang, just let it culture longer.
    Happy yogurt making!
    Thanks! This is great info. I'm also wondering, can one purchase organic powdered milk and if not, is there something else that can be added to the yogurt to thicken it?

I know organic mik powder exists... Whether it is easy to get ahold of, I don't know. I have actually never thought to much about it, as I only add 1/3 cup or so to a half gallon of yogurt... This place makes it, and I am sure there are others.
    You can also add 1 tsp unflavored gelatin for thickening.
    You can also let it set a little longer.
    If you have been adding flavoring BEFORE culturing, that can make it runny, too.
    Oh, I forgot. Only use Nonfat milk powder. Wierd stuff happens to the powder with milkfat in it.
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah