Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: wants to nurse instead of having meals

Default wants to nurse instead of having meals

My toddler is 19 months and I'm wondering if any of your kids at this age preferred to nurse instead of having meals. He is pretty forceful and wouldn't take a bite. His appetite comes and goes and I don't want to force him to eat--but when oh when will he just eat already! Grrr :-P

Default Re: wants to nurse instead of having meals

Usch, we have had SO many eating/non eating issues I can't even begin to tell you!
    My older daughter was on formula and we had to cut back to get her to eat.
    My younger daughter is turning 3 in Feb. and is still nursing strong. Let me think, has he tried eating anything but is currently just on a nursing binge?
    Is it texture of food or anything like that that could be turning him off?
    I guess having my youngest in my lap while I eat helped at times, she got curious...

I wish you the best and that I had some words of wisdom!!

My son is 17 mos and is the same way. I think I may start paying more attention to whether it is the texture thing. Room temp or cold things. It seems to be everything though. I just keep telling myself it is teething, a stage, etc. All we can do is offer them a variety of things to eat I guess. It is frustrating sometimes though. I have read that their growth slows down and they don't eat as much. Sometimes it seems like he gets by on nothing, but maybe my milk still has enough nutrients to satisfy him. Good luck.

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job of following his cues. Just keep offering, and eventually he will be ready for more food.

My child had a similar issue. She liked trying food, just not sitting at the table. She got bored, I guess. So she'd immediately ask to nurse at meal times. Every meal time. We finally made a "no nursing at the table" rule. She never HAD to eat and she got to nurse all day (back then), but when I was eating, she couldn't nurse. We had some tantrums for a while during dinner, but then she accepted the rule.. and you know what? She started eating. Not a lot, of course, but she realized that time at the table was time for eating.

Hi,

My daughter was the same way until probably 1 month ago, now she is 22 months. I believe that finally getting her molars helped a lot, (sometimes she would complain of sore gums while she was eating).

I also started explaining to her that she needed to eat food, and telling her that I would always nurse her after if she wants.

Now she is doing great, if she asks to nurse and has not had her meal yet, I tell her "what about eating first and then we nurse" and she agrees.

She still loves to nurse though.