Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Amounts?

Default Amounts?

We started solids a few weeks ago. I try to feed DD once a day, but I can't say it's been at the same time every day. I usually offer her about 2teaspoons of food. Is this reasonable or should I be trying to give her more?

TIA,
    Reena
    due Mid-March
    Sarah's daughter z"l - Rich's wife b"l - Sarit's (27 March 2007) mother am"v
    Self Proclaimed Baby Wearing Fanatic
    ing our cloth diapers

Default Re: Amounts?

In my opininon, in the beginning its not about filling up your baby with food. Its about having some fun, exploring and enjoying. The amount you listed is just fine. I would strip, William, down and mash some banana for him and just put a big blob in front of him.
    what foods are you experimenting with now?

I agree with carpentergirl. It is all about exploring the foods and textures for the first month or more. My LO did not really get into eating solids until 8.5 months. If you are still nursing that is where the real sourse of nutrition will come from. Good luck and Enjoy the mess.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

We did BLS so were never quite sure what (or how much) DS was actually eating until we saw the "evidence" in his diapers the next day.

with the comments about fun & exploring

I think with spoon feeding you can also take a "baby led" philosophy and offer food and let LO set the pace for how much she wants to eat.

My DS also really didn't eat more than a few bites until he was about 8.5 mo.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by marymud View Post
    If you are still nursing that is where the real sourse of nutrition will come from.
    Like 28 times a day, if I could count.

I don't mind the mess at all and I'm not concerned that she's not getting enough, just have no idea what I'm doing I'd like to do more BLS, but my baby led me to giving her smushy food on a spoon b/c she seems to like it

I guess I'll only start worrying if she's not eating or drinking anything besides my breasts by the time she's a year old and I have to go back to work.

-Reena
    due Mid-March
    ing our cloth diapers

Quote Originally Posted by RABT View Post
    I'd like to do more BLS, but my baby led me to giving her smushy food on a spoon b/c she seems to like it
    No worries!

If she's leaning forward with an open mouth or reaching for the spoon then give her more.

If she turns her head away and/or closes her mouth then she's telling you that she's done.

Plenty of nutrition in mommy's milk - and no point in making solids a struggle!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

So how old is she now? Any teeth? Sometimes they really do a lot of nursing when they are cutting teeth.

Frozen mommy-pops are good for offering new textures. I also got a mesh feeder and boiled carrots and what not and stuffed it in. He really like frozen breast milk, frozen soft foods where a big hit too. In the begining their gag reflex may prevent textured foods, but just try a little and see. some babies like mashed, some prefer a bit more lumpy.

She's good with experimenting: I even gave her chopped collard greens and she ate some!

8 months old tomorrow :eek but no teeth. She just likes nursing and I don't look at the clock -- we work well together with nursing on cue anytime, anyplace

-Reena
    due Mid-March
    ing our cloth diapers