Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Babies that spit up and eat solids...

Default Babies that spit up and eat solids...

So dd turns 6 months on sat.. she has had a little bit of solids.. every few days for the past 2 weeks or so we have given her a few spoonfuls of some fruit or sweet potatoes. She has had some cereal (oatmeal) twice. She is interested in food and LOVES solids and can sit up for short periods unassisted. The problem is she still constantly spits up. Every since she was about 1 week old she spits up at least 3 times after every feeding (it used to be 4-6 times) . (its mostly that thick, white curdeled stuff) She is for the most part a happy spitter and I didn't really with to go with meds as she is for the most part unaffected by it. Her weight, growth and milestones are all fine. She breastfeeds every 1.5-2 hours during the day and then sleeps 11 hours straight at night (equals about 8-10 feedings a day). I had read that by 6 months this usually fixes itself however I am not seeing this. When I feed her solids that have color(think sweet potatoes) it becomes a MAJOR laundry problem. She will spit up all over her bibs, outfits, the floor, birp clothes, blankets... then every thing is ORANGE!!!!!
    Should I hold off on feeding her solids until this goes away???? When will that be??? should I deal with the mess or stick with foods that lack color(which are usually the healthiest ones ) I noticed she didn't spit up much when she had oatmeal but I hate to feed her much cereal as I don't really think its that healthy. Any opinions?? Please share your experience. Thanks )

Default Re: Babies that spit up and eat solids...

nobody has a baby that spits up past 6 months???????

Quote Originally Posted by excited2bemama View Post
    nobody has a baby that spits up past 6 months???????
    I'm sure many mommas will be able to respond today- sometimes it takes a bit for the right people to get online to post to questions such as this one.

I can't offer much help because my baby is on zantac for reflux and doesn't spit up much anymore. We have had a few vomiting issues starting solids and I believe that is just part of the learning experience... gagging, etc. so they can figure it all out. I just clean it up and try again the next day.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My baby was still spitting up at 6 months, she is 9 months old now and is finally not spitting up as much as she used to! She will still spit up every other day or so, but it's definitely not like it was. For a while, I just had to put up with cleaning up food, AND mother's milk from the carpet/clothes!

Feeding foods as close to their natural state as possible is good for everyone. It sounds like she is ready to eat food now and that you've been following her cues well! It is messy when they are still spitting up solids along with mother's milk but it will pass as they continue to grow out of it.

Take care!

Ahhhh yes, spit up. What would my dog eat if Lorenzo didn't spit up? Isn't that nasty -- but she just follows him around waiting for it...

So, people throw out different ages for the end of reflux (including happy spitters), but the Am. Pediatric Assoc. puts it 12 - 18 months. Until then, they are not concerned about it if there is no pain, weight loss, etc.

My son is 7 months old and still spits up plenty, as well as silent reflux, where it comes up into his throat but not out. In his case, I am going very slowly with solids because he has a tendency to choke. I am feeling especially sensitive to this because (I don't wish to scare anyone, but it's important to know it can happen) a woman I know recently lost her 7 month old daughter when she choked on her own spit up during the night. (It has also solidified my commitment to co-sleeping.)

Here's some suggestions off the top of my head:

We have a drawer full of heavily stained hand-me-downs that Lorenzo wears for meals.

Keep tabs on which foods create more or less spit up -- there are some more inclined than others to do so, though it seems to vary a lot child to child.

Skip solids near bedtime, as thick food tends to lead to thick spit up, which is easier to choke on.

There are some excellent natural stain removers available at health food stores. The sun is also an excellent stain remover -- if you get sun at this time of year, just hang stuff out with the stain directly facing the sun.

Get a hungry dog. Just kidding......

I know it can be distressing and frustrating to deal with spitting up at this stage, but hang in there. It is very unusual for it to persist past 18 months.

Okay... so I guess I can expect her to spit up for while?? and maybe we should do solids at lunch instead of dinner.Yikes.. choking scares me but even through she spits up tons I only remember her choking like twice when she was teeny tiny.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!