Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't help it...I'm a nervous nelly! (And what to do about veggies?)

Default I can't help it...I'm a nervous nelly! (And what to do about veggies?)

I'm trying REALLY hard to be relaxed about BLS...but I can't! I can't take an infant CPR class right now and I'm sooo worried that DS will choke and I won't know what to do. Is it smart to be doing this when I don't know the new Rescue Breathing techniques? Yesterday he had a full solid foods meal and I was hovering. (He really didn't eat much but everything in front of him was in its original form.) I know this is bad, but I'm petrified. Also because the paramedics in this country suck and they get lost half the time trying to reach people! (I need to put this on my list of pros for moving back to the U.S.)

And...DS won't eat soft, steamed veggies! I actually steam them and then freeze them because we can only get to the organic store about every 3 weeks or so. Microwaved, they seem limp and boring...what the heck can I do?
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: I can't help it...I'm a nervous nelly! (And what to do about veggies?)

You could research the new techniques on line, watch some videos and practice on a doll maybe? As for reheating the veggies could you reheat them in the oven instead of in the microwave? Maybe put them in a baking dish with a bit of water to keep them from getting too dry?

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Default Re: I can't help it...I'm a nervous nelly! (And what to do about veggies?)

Quote Originally Posted by MeganBeth View Post
    You could research the new techniques on line, watch some videos and practice on a doll maybe?
    That's what I am trying to do now but I feel like I'm not getting all of the training. I suppose it's better than nothing...I just wish one of the classes were in my city instead of 1 1/2 hrs away!

Quote Originally Posted by MeganBeth View Post
    As for reheating the veggies could you reheat them in the oven instead of in the microwave? Maybe put them in a baking dish with a bit of water to keep them from getting too dry?
    I stay away from the oven when DS is around because about 6-7 weeks ago, I lit the oven when gas had been leaking - which I didn't smell - and whooooshhh! I looked directly into a fireball. The burns have healed and the burned eyelash embedded in my cornea has been removed but I still have stubby bangs and missing hairs on my eyebrows...yeah, better to leave the oven off.

Maybe I could put the veggies in water in the micro - might save some taste? You should have seen his face today when I gave him broccoli. Really, though, I don't blame him!
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Here are some online videos for infant CPR & choking that may help:
    http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/index.html

I think that starting solids is pretty nerve wracking for everyone. My DS had some spectacular gagging & throwing up episodes when we first started solids.

For the veggies - I wonder if its the taste or texture? For texture maybe you can try freezing without cooking (or cooking less) so when you defrost you have more options for how soft the veggies are when you give them to DS. For taste we haven't figured out DS eating .... one day he'll love a certain food and then the next look at us like we're crazy when we offer it. We just keep offering. I've heard that it can take 10 or more times before a LO tries a new food. If you've introduced things like butter or spices - you can also try doing veggies with a little seasoning (butter, olive oil, garlic powder, other spices, etc).
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    Here are some online videos for infant CPR & choking that may help:
    http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/index.html

I think that starting solids is pretty nerve wracking for everyone. My DS had some spectacular gagging & throwing up episodes when we first started solids.

For the veggies - I wonder if its the taste or texture? For texture maybe you can try freezing without cooking (or cooking less) so when you defrost you have more options for how soft the veggies are when you give them to DS. For taste we haven't figured out DS eating .... one day he'll love a certain food and then the next look at us like we're crazy when we offer it. We just keep offering. I've heard that it can take 10 or more times before a LO tries a new food. If you've introduced things like butter or spices - you can also try doing veggies with a little seasoning (butter, olive oil, garlic powder, other spices, etc).
    I've been so careful with the allergy thing that DS isn't eating as much as he could be. I finally gave him eggs and he's been fine with them. I think I might try a little butter. He's definitely had olive oil with no problems. And he must have had garlic too because he eats hommos. I'll try a little saute' with olive oil and garlic and see how that goes...

If you're worried about allergies I'd hold off on butter & use olive oil instead.

I've read that garlic & onion *can* be allergens (but low on the allergy scale). Other herbs don't seem to be a concern from an allergy stand point, but if you're worried then introduce them one at a time.
    Lynn

I think the spice thing might really help. Logan is being super picky on everything I've given him that was plain. Then this weekend we went out for Japanese and I let him taste the Udon soup and he seriously went wild for it. I was shocked because it had a pretty strong taste and lots of herbs in there. I might end up flavoring his veggies up a bit once we get through the fact he hates them all plain. Gotta keep tryin' lol.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My DS definitely does not like plain foods. We've had the best sucesses so far with him eating basically what I do (although I've toned down my cooking a bit so it's not as spicy). DS loves italian pasta sauce (with lots of onion, garlic & basil), udon noodles, eating basil directly from the plant (in the summer).

We've started to do his veggies with olive oil or margarine & garlic powder and a little basil or oregano.

I ate lots of garlic while pg and bf - so we think that DS is used to having garlic flavored amniotic fluid and breastmilk
    Lynn

Learning how to clear the object from his throat and the heimlich(sp?) are more important then CPR, IMO. If you're watching him eat and he starts to choke he doesn't need CPR he needs to get air. There are a lot of books and places online that show the basics on these.
    Clearing the throat is easy, you make a hook shape with your finger, sweep finger into DS' mouth being careful not to push anything further back. Then pick DS up tilt him over say your knees or forearm and give him firm but gentle smacks on the back between the shoulder blades using your fingers, not your palm. I've had to do this twice and it worked fine. I didn't have any classes but read about what to do and was able to do it. I'm not saying don't get training but have faith that your mama instincts will help you if anything happens. He has to learn solids eventually or lunch hour in high school could be awkward

Besides if you're doing BLS then his own gag reflex should be developed enough that he can bring up any food that gets caught or what have you.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

The latest training suggests that you never do a blind sweep in the mouth/throat for choking, as used to be recommended. Apparently there were toomany incidents of damage caused by that. Check out the American Heart Association recommendations -- they were just updated this year. But I do agree that mama instincts go a long way!