Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tea?

Default Tea?

Okay, tea is a big thing in my family and I've been asked repeatedly when I'm going to give DS his tea. When is it okay to give LO's watered down caffine free tea? My mom swears up and down that a little watered down chamomile tea used to help me get to sleep easier, and it still does! Just wondering what you're opinions are on the subject?

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Default Re: Tea?

I love tea too! Hmmmm, I don't know, good question. I suppose if it's caffeine-free, like you said, and organically-grown, it might be okay? I guess my instinct says it would be okay as long as it doesn't have any funky things in it, just pure tea leaves.

Sorry, I really wasn't able to help out, really.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Smile Re: Tea?

My LO's Doc told me Not to give green tea (or any tea with Tannins) to infants, since it may interfere with iron metabolism and cause anemia. I have alwayd had issues with anemia so my LO's doc does not want to risk it.

Here is an abstract you may find useful (from: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 41, 1210-1213, Copyright © 1985 by The American Society for Clinical Nutrition, Inc)

Tea drinking and microcytic anemia in infants
    H Merhav, Y Amitai, H Palti and S Godfrey

To evaluate the effect of tea drinking on the occurrence of microcytic anemia in infants, we studied 122 healthy infants who underwent routine blood counts at the age of 6-12 months. An overall high frequency of anemia (Hb less than 11 gm/dl-48.4%), microcytosis (MCV less than 70 Mm3-21.3%) and microcytic anemia (19%) was found in the whole group. The percentage of tea drinking infants with microcytic anemia (32.6%) was significantly higher than that of the non-tea drinkers (3.5%). The daily amount of tea drinking was 50-750 ml (median 250 ml). The tea drinkers had significantly lower mean levels of hemoglobin than that of the non-tea drinkers (10.5 +/- 1.2 gm/dl vs 11.2 +/- 0.8 gm/dl, respectively) and significantly lower mean levels of mean corpuscular volume than that of the non-tea drinkers (71.5 +/- 7.1 micron 3 vs 76.1 +/- 4.6 micron 3). There were no significant differences between the two groups in their sex distribution and in the duration of breast feeding. The two groups differed with regard to their ages and social class but a multivariate analysis had excluded the possible confounding effect of these differences on the hematological results. Based on our finding we do not recommend giving tea to infants whose main source of iron is from milk, grains, vegetables or medicinal sources.

Here is the link to the full article. If you can not download it let me know and I will send it to you as a PDF. http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/41/6/1210

Here is a thread on the topic from Ivillage:
    http://parenting.ivillage.com/newbor...,,3qkb,00.html - keep in mind like us here - it is a public forum and you shoudl always check with your LO's doc!

Finally, Nature has a good overview article that has references out to other data that you may find useful: http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v.../1601309a.html
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Thanks for the info!

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

We were just talking about this over Thanksgiviing. My dh's aunt is a nurse adn she was talking about all the people she see with anemia and how people don't know the link between iron depletion and tea drinking. i had no idea! And for sweet tea drinking southerners, sadness!

Scary! Never would have guessed with all the tea-drinking cultures in the world...
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

This is news to me, too. Glad I read this forum sometimes. Thanks for that info pp!

Amy