Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DS not back at birthwt - need support

Default Re: DS not back at birthwt - need support

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    One suggestion, to see how much he is taking in at a feed, is to take him to the pediatrician before nursing, and weigh before a feed. Then feed and weigh again--and see just how much baby is taking in.
    I was going to suggest this, too. I actually rented a scale from my lactation consultant, and I found it very helpful. I knew exactly how much my baby was getting in a given nursing session, and that allowed me to gauge my milk supply with a lot of accuracy.

Also, I've read that babies born to moms who have had IV fluids (like moms who have had c-sections) can be born with a lot of extra fluid weight on board. They lose the extra fluid rapidly, making it seem as if they have lost a lot of weight- but that weight is just water.

Hang in there, and don't let your Mom and MIL get you down!

Boy, oh boy, can I sympathize. I've posted a couple times on this forum about my little guy's weight.

First of all...I've come to the conclusion that those weight charts were invented simply to torture new and first time parents!

My guy is now 6 months and we've been dealing with weight issues since Day One. He was born at 7# 8oz, but lost over a pound his first week. Yikes! It actually took him over three weeks to get back to birth weight. He's still on the low end on those contemptible charts (1st percentile).

Based on what you're saying, it sounds like everything is going well (though, I'm obviously not a medical professional). Seeing milk, hearing gulping and swallowing and diaper output are all positive signs.

All babies are different...so my advice is get in touch with your local LLL and keep in contact with your pediatrician. Above all, don't give up and know that you have support around here. I'm new, but, this is such a great network of support and help.

After our visit to the dr last Thursday, DS gained 5 oz!!!!! But, the dr wants me to supplement with formula for two feedings a day. I'm a little annoyed because I feel that this advice goes against my ability to keep my milk supply up. Ds is doing great....he has been having great wet diapers, feeds great (and I can see the milk in his mouth), but the dr seemed concerned that I didn't leak out of one breast while feeding DS from the other. Is the leaking part normal? Just wondering. I also opened up my breast pump and was able to put 0.5 oz from each breast - so i feel like the milk is there, maybe Ds is just a slow grower? I dunno....

Smile Re: DS not back at birthwt - need support

Hi there,

what a stressful first few weeks you've had!

The leaking from your breasts is not at all necessary for breastfeeding! I am amazed that your gp would be quite so lacking in knowledge about breastfeeding, to be honest.

Is there a professional lactation consultant or LLL leader near you whom you could meet up with? You really need to be in touch with someone who actually knows about breastfeeding rather than suggesting things such as formula supplements with no genuine medical reason.

I think he is undermining your confidence. You already know that your son is gaining weight on your milk alone (and gaining weight is an important factor but not the only benefit to be gained from breastfeeding).

Also, the amount of milk you can pump is not ever as much as your baby can extract by suckling at your breast.

Hopefully someone else will come along with some good advice for you. All I can say is keep going, you are doing great and given th ereasons you have explained is no reason to be supplementing with artificial milk!

"After our visit to the dr last Thursday, DS gained 5 oz!!!!! But, the dr wants me to supplement with formula for two feedings a day. I'm a little annoyed because I feel that this advice goes against my ability to keep my milk supply up."

You are correct. If you follow your Dr.'s advice you will end up with not enough milk for your baby. Milk production is simply supply and demand.

"Ds is doing great....he has been having great wet diapers, feeds great (and I can see the milk in his mouth), but the dr seemed concerned that I didn't leak out of one breast while feeding DS from the other. Is the leaking part normal?"

It's normal, but not necessary!

My son is a slow grower. Perfectly healthy, but slow growing. We had a stint with formula - that made him sick AND slow growing

You're doing the right thing. Hang in there!

I agree, if you supplement you will end up with less milk. I have been where you are now and it is frustrating. My Daughter weighed 6lbs 9oz at birth, when she was 12 hours old she weighed 6lbs 2oz, at 5 days she was up to 6lbs 8oz and at 2 weeks she was down to 5lbs 14oz and then my Dr. suggested supplementing and I did and my milk ended up drying up on me. Hang in there, your baby gained 5oz and I think thats good. Your doing a great job!!! Congrats on your new baby!!