Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rough time!

Unhappy Rough time!

Hello all... I really didn't know where to post this.... it's a combo of lack of sleep, milk supply issues, and bfing my lo....

He's was doing pretty good. We had feed him some solids, but only twice and he was really good with them, but I am trying to hold out longer...ok that was a side bar!

Problem: The last 3 nights he won't sleep unless my breast is in his mouth. He will nurse at 9:30 or 10 and sleep until 2am. From then on it's constant nursing... He is so fussy after he eats like he isn't getting enough. I have noticed a slight dip in supply when pumping, but this isn't the first time, and he has always been able to get milk out even when I couldn't pump a drop. I don't know what to do. I start a new job Monday and I will have to get up 1hr earlier and I will be gone away from him longer! I can't keep up with the pumping because by 4:30 -5 am when I wake, I am empty from him feeding all night. I usually can get 4-5 oz then.... That's a whole bottle that am missing now... I am drinking Mother's Milk Tea 2-3 times a day and eating oatmeal at least once a day....

Any advice will be helpful
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Default Re: Rough time!

How old is he now? This sounds a lot like a growth spurt to me. That`s when babies like to nurse a lot- much more than usual. It shouldn`t last too long. He will most likely return to his old schedule by the time you start your new job on Monday. I hope that`s the case.
    You must be exhausted from staying up with him all night.

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Well he will be 5 months in 13 days. I thought about that too, but his growth spurts are usually an all day event, this is just at night... I am wondering if he is reverse cycling?

Hmmm. You are right. It wouldn`t be only at night...Maybe he is reverse cycling.

You know, Shion did this when he was about to hit a new milestone.
    Not sure...

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

I sure hope this doesn't last long... I read some articles on kellymom about reverse cycling, but he's not sleeping during the day...

If he's reverse cycling this may not be an issue, but do you know if maybe you're about to have a period? That happened to me, especially just before the first time post-partum, and still does (although to a lesser degree) now.

no period. I have a dlight dip in supply during periods, but this is totally different... if he's not feeding he's crying!

It sure sounds like a familiar phase.

Here's some information that might help you get through:
    www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html

Thanks for the article.... I am not sure what's going on... he was with me all day and fed great! But like clock work, once he it was time to go to bed he start fussing and wanting to feed constantly! The only thing that changed was he started fussing at the breast. I finally grab the RS and he fussed and finally went to sleep! night b4 last I just left him in the bed with us with full access. That was a little better...