Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shorter more often pumping sessions..

Default Shorter more often pumping sessions..

I was just curious, I hope I make sense with this.
    I am having a problem at this point keeping up with my son, I have tried all tips to make sure he is not overeating but it seems he is creeping up to 5oz's each time he eats. I have done everything I can also find to try and get my milk output up, nothing seems to be increasing it much. The question I have however is this, for doing shorter pumping sessions in less amount of time, that confuses me. Do you pump until the milk is stopped or for a set amount of time. It seems for me in reality I can sit all day long and get a drip here and a drip there.. So especially the first time I pump in the morning I pump for about an hour, as anyone could probably understand that is starting to get harder to do as my son is awake more often and my 3 yr old is getting a bit sick of it as well.
    TIA
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

Default Re: Shorter more often pumping sessions..

An hour!! WOW.. the longest I have ever went was 30 mins and I thought I was going to go nuts! I honesty only have 10-15 to put. I have a single pump so that's about 7mins per side.

I do compressions and massages b4 and during pumping.
    I try to pump b4 he feeds instead of after. I know he will be able to pull more milk out afterwards. unlike the pump which barely gets a drop after he feeds
    If I do pump after him, I try to wait about 30 mins.
    I also pump while I am feeding him when I am home.
    from 6 - until bed (on most days) I do nothing but nurse we just lay in bed until about 10 and then I put him in his crib.
    On weekends I still pump when he feeds... not each time, but most!
    I try not to use pump milk unless we are seperated. If I am there, he will nurse!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

An hour is a bit much. Most experts recommend 30 mins max.

If you have an hour to spare, you could try power pumping (10 on/10 off for a total of 30 mins in 60).

Otherwise, most moms go about 15-30 mins per session. If you can do 20 mins more often than what you're doing now, you'd probably see an increase in output. AND it would be easier on you and your kiddos.

Have you tried pumping hands free? That might help, too.

Quote Originally Posted by home executive View Post
    An hour is a bit much. Most experts recommend 30 mins max.

If you have an hour to spare, you could try power pumping (10 on/10 off for a total of 30 mins in 60).

Otherwise, most moms go about 15-30 mins per session. If you can do 20 mins more often than what you're doing now, you'd probably see an increase in output. AND it would be easier on you and your kiddos.

Have you tried pumping hands free? That might help, too.
    Thanks! the thing that confuses me is i never am completely out of milk so to say, i usually have tons of milk and then it slows to drips which even after an hr still drip drip drip so i cant really pump for the recommended 2-5 mins after the milk stops .. i also am awaiting my new hands free bra and am so excited for that, i joke with my best pal she will see me walking around my house all day pumping once i get that and wear my PISA in its bag!
    What I do is the hr in the am and every 2-3 hrs do about 30 mins total.
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

Your breasts are never truly empty as you keep producing milk even while you're pumping, so you will always get one more drop. I stop pumping when I stop getting a little stream of milk, or to 20min, then hand express for a few minutes b/c I can get a some more streams of milk out that way. I very rarely need to go past 20min, and doing more than that can damage your nipples over time. Pumping for shorter amounts of time more often is more similar to how a baby nurses and therefore tells your body to make more milk better than pumping longer.