Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DS so sick -any advice?

Default DS so sick -any advice?

Hey:

My DS got sick last week with high temperatures etc, took him to the Docs and he had tonsilitus. So we went on antibiotics and probiotics. Now he has terrible diarrhea and an dreadful nappy rash that is even bleeding. I have stopped the antibiotics, but he still has dreadful diarrhea and he screams in pain as when he dirties his nappy it must burn like crazy. I have tried all the thrush creams and nothing seem to be helping. I think I will have to take him back to the Doctors.

He is still nursing okay, and will drink his bottle of EBM and water so am trying to keep him as hydrated as possible.

Any advice?

Default Re: DS so sick -any advice?

Hi, I`m so sorry you are dealing with this. I`m going through something similar with my little son.
    I remember he also had bad rashes from an antibiotic treatment a while back. His butt was in a really bad shape. I wish I could tell you the name of the cream the doctors gave us, b/c it did wonders. I think it was especially made for these types of rashes. I would definitely go back to the doctors as they can prescribe something that will help the rash heal faster.
    You probably already know this, but patting a sore butt instead of wiping it is much better for the poor baby. Also, (it`s tricky with diarrhea) but leaving him without his diaper for a while does wonders.
    How old is he? Just keep nursing him on demand and watch for wet diapers. I hope he gets better soon. It`s so hard with a sick baby...

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Putting some EBM on the bottom and then letting it air-dry works well.

Air dry as much as possible, and try lanolin if you have it. Once the diaper area is COMPLETELY dry, rub it gently on, or squeeze it on. It creates a wonderful moisture barrier. We actually use a cream for dairy cows... it's called Corona here. It's a blend of lanolin and beeswax.
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Super Duper Diaper Doo. It can be difficult to find, but it has cleared up rashes overnight for us. It is amazing.
    Robin

my ped wrote a rx for a diaper cream that worked wonders when my lo had this problem - you may want ask your doctor. Also, I found that Triple Paste works well if you can get it and Aquaphor Healing Ointment.

Amy

Hi Guys:

Just wanted to give you an update.

Took him back to the doctors yesterday. They said he was having an allergic reaction to the antibiotic (now changed the antibiotic), they have given me a cortisone cream and a thick barrier cream for his nappy rash and given him meds to stop the diarrhea.

This morning when I changed his nappy, the diarrhea had stopped and it looked much firmer and more normal, so hopefully it will stop burning his bum and we can heal his nappy rash.

Just wanted to thank you for all your support. You feel so helpless when they are sick and just want to take their pain away.

At least when I got home yesterday to take him to the doctors he crawled to me like lightening and gave me a kiss and a big hug! Kinda melted my heart

So glad he is feeling better! Poor little guy and a reaction to the antibiotics. Scary.

Jo-Burg, huh? I went to high school in Durban.