Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is breastfeeding on demand really necessary or are there are other options?

Default Re: Is breastfeeding on demand really necessary or are there are other options?

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    Where is Abby with her siggy?

"Routines are for dancers, schedules are for trains."

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Default Re: Is breastfeeding on demand really necessary or are there are other options?

well we have a routine. Schedules and I don't mix. but I do like a routine... so there's nothing wrong with that, IMO. But it might take a few months for it to settle in... the more flexible you are, the better chance you have of making a routine work... ironic, isn't it

Congrats
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I agree with all the previous posters. Babies know when they're hungry, and I can assure that she'll let you know too! You're also right--when you hold her you will do what she needs, and the wonderful thing about nursing and following her cues is that you will be so tuned in to her that you'll learn to anticipate her needs after a while. That really helped me not to feel so upside down. Congratulations, and enjoy your new little one!

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    well we have a routine. Schedules and I don't mix. but I do like a routine... so there's nothing wrong with that, IMO. But it might take a few months for it to settle in... the more flexible you are, the better chance you have of making a routine work... ironic, isn't it

Congrats
    We have our routines around here too - but those didn't really get settled in for quite some time. I don't mix well with schedules either.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Congrats
    I agree, we have a routine. For a newborn? No thanks.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Congrats
    I never really thought about it this way, but we have a routine too, but no set schedule. Schedules are rigid, but routines can happen at anytime!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

On demand feeding (or comforting, or diaper-changing ) is the only way to go for a newborn. Anything else is just dangerous.

We did the combo of on demnd (of course) but offered every 3 hours...worked out nicely.

Just when you think you have it figured out - it changes! It changes so quickly that no book can dictate your baby's needs.

My son was born with an every-2-hour schedule. Just when I sorted out how to manage that, then he switched to every 3 hours. (He's a very regular little man).

Save yourself the worry, chuck the books and your mother-in-law's advice. Trust your baby. S/he WILL know when it's time to eat and WILL let you know. Trust yourself. Feeding on demand is far less stressful. No worries. Trust yourself - you know much more than your think you do!

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    Where is Abby with her siggy?

"Routines are for dancers, schedules are for trains."
    Its a cute little saying, but the truth is...most babies thrive from having some sort of predictability in their lives. Not rigidity in scheduling, but a sequence of events that usually happens in the same manner each day. We started that very early.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Tally View Post
    We did the combo of on demnd (of course) but offered every 3 hours...worked out nicely.
    This is exactly what we did. Maybe it was because I pumped so often that I never had any supply problems, but I never even noticed a growth spurt Not even in the beginning. My little guy only "demanded" to eat every 3 hours, go figure
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!