Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which nipples do you prefer?

Default Which nipples do you prefer?

I'm going to be a first time mom in early August. I work one parking lot away from the daycare center we've lined up, so I'll be able to nurse him (I work 7-3; I would nurse him during my lunch at 12N). I'm thinking he'll also need a bottle at first, as he'll only be 3 months old when he starts daycare. I've read that Adiri nipples are good; what do you experienced moms think?

Default Re: Which nipples do you prefer?

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your pregnancy! It's *great* that you will be able to nurse your baby (do you know it's a boy?) at least once during the work-day.

I think you'll find, if you do a little searching on here, that there are lots of 'favorites' when it comes to bottles and nipples! There are a few things to keep in mind.... first, try to wait until nursing is really well established before introducing any kind of bottle/artificial nipples, if you can. A common guideline is about 6 weeks or so, I think? Of course, don't wait until the day before you are going back to work, though, to try to introduce the bottle! Some babes take to it quickly, others need some time to adjust. (Lots of suggestions out there if yours is a 'needs-adjustment-time' babe, so not to worry!) When it comes to picking a nipple, your baby will ultimately be the one who makes the decision! Some moms swear by avent bottles/nipples, others are tried-and-true playtex nurser afficionados. My Jared would occasionally take an avent, but really only likes - other than my own - NUK nipples. You may have to sample a few before you find one that works...so keep an open mind a patient spirit!
    Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy...wishing you a smooth and healthy labor and delivery! Keep us posted!
    Jsmom

When I gave DS a bottle the one that did they for him was slow-flow NaturaLatch from Playtex.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!! Good Luck!

jsmom, thank you for your reply Yes, it's a boy.

Actually, it's hilarious how we found out - I didn't know I was pregnant until I was nearly 5 months along. My husband stated he was going to get a vasectomy, so I went off the pill. I thought my periods immediately ceased because I am getting old, so here I was, trying to diet off this persistent little bump...we found out 4 days after finding out I was pregnant that we are having a boy.

Thank you so much for the helpful information, I'll look around some more. I've never heard of the NUK nipple, so that's a great start!

Quote Originally Posted by Mami_Kathy
    When I gave DS a bottle the one that did they for him was slow-flow NaturaLatch from Playtex.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!! Good Luck!
    Thank you. Boy, everyone is SO nice here!

I found that one looking for the NUK. This is great, he'll have more than one choice...

Many, many breastfed infants prefer the clear silicone bottle nipples to the brown rubber ones. The brown rubber ones seem to have a rubber-y taste.

I've seen breastfed babies take just about every kind of bottle nipple out there - they were all picky, and would one take one or two shapes. You won't know until you try them.

The rounded-tip ones, without the orthodontic shape, seem to work well for some. Others like the nuk-type. Some babies love the Avent nipples; others seem to choke on the length of it.

Whatever you choose, stick with slow-flow nipples, to most closely mimic the flow of milk from your breasts.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

DS (age 11 weeks) uses the slow-flow NaturaLatch Playtex nipples. They seems to work great - he has very little gas.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLShannon
    Many, many breastfed infants prefer the clear silicone bottle nipples to the brown rubber ones. The brown rubber ones seem to have a rubber-y taste.

I've seen breastfed babies take just about every kind of bottle nipple out there - they were all picky, and would one take one or two shapes. You won't know until you try them.

The rounded-tip ones, without the orthodontic shape, seem to work well for some. Others like the nuk-type. Some babies love the Avent nipples; others seem to choke on the length of it.

Whatever you choose, stick with slow-flow nipples, to most closely mimic the flow of milk from your breasts.
    I'm going to try the Adiri first then, as it's low flow and made from silicone. If he hates it, I'm going with those Playtex nipples. Everybody seems to really like those slow-flow NaturaLatch Playtex nipples.

The NaturaLatch nipples is available in silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mami_Kathy
    The NaturaLatch nipples is available in silicone.
    They look so nice too...I checked them out on line. I'm thinking of trying Adiri first because they look more like a boob. What do you think?