Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast Tenderness after weaning

Unhappy Breast Tenderness after weaning

I am a mother of four beautiful sons and have successfully nursed and weaned them without incident until now. I just finished weaning my youngest son and am now suffering with incredibly painful breast tenderness. As I have never experienced such a problem with this in the past, I am at a loss for the cause and how to relieve this. I am not engorged and do not have an infection as far as I can tell. I have tried wearing a more snug bra and cool compresses. I have just started taking a progestin only bcp, and have considered that as a potential cause. Friends and co-workers all immediately jump to the pregnancy conclusion, but I had my period only 14 days ago, so I don't feel that is a potential cause. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Default Re: Breast Tenderness after weaning

I had a lot of breast tenderness with the pill and I was always on either low estrogen or progesterone only pill. The pill didn't ever agree with my body so we opted for other bc. I know this was one of the side effects I found very uncomfortable.

Default Re: Breast Tenderness after weaning

I'll be waiting for an answer to this one, too. I'm not on any BCP. I weaned dd two weeks ago and never experienced any engorgement. However, now certain parts of my breasts feel a bit bruised. If I push on the spots, milk comes out, so I assume it's just certain areas that are still producing milk. If that is so, when can I expect this pain to subside? If it's something else - what is it ???
    I'd appreciate any info - before I start getting worried - thanks!
    Robyn