Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oatmeal instead of rice cereal?

Default Oatmeal instead of rice cereal?

I'm thinking of starting with Oatmeal this time around. Seems to me that rice cereal wouldn't exactly be healthy for anyone, no less a baby. Just doesn't feel right.

Has anyone given oatmeal as one of baby's first foods, around 6-7 mos?

Default Re: Oatmeal instead of rice cereal?

We've never given rice cereal, but started with oatmeal and he's loved it.

We started oatmeal the week he hit six months.

We did give him oatmeal around 6-7 months, he loved it, but the thing is it made him lill constipated as well, so I stopped it for a while and then re-intoduced it to him around 8.5 mo. So watch your kid closely for signs of constipation. HTH

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

I did start out with rice cereal but didn't even use up the whole box cause I didn't feel like giving him sugar at night, since when we started we only fed him with us at dinner time. He gets oatmeal every night though and loves it!

My ds is 24 weeks old today and so I put some mushed up banana in front of him on his high chair, he had no idea what to do with it . I put tiny amounts on my finger and he sucked on them and seemed to really like it. Probably had 1/10 tsp altogether, hardly anything at all. Then around dinnertime tried a little rice cereal with bm and he opened his mouth right up for the spoon, I was surprised he knew how to do that! But he took maybe 2 tiny infant spoon's worth and then spit the rest out . That stuff smells horrible, I'm wondering if we should do some oatmeal instead. Thoughts? What about before bed, I want to nurse him to sleep but won't he not nurse if he's full of oatmeal?
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

we gave Cooper oatmeal for his first food. he only had it for a few weeks, it seemed to really constipate him, but I know thats not the case for everyone.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I never did rice cereal either.. I went right to oatmeal.. it wasn't a first food... I did apple, banana, and pear in a mesh feeder first (not together), then sweet potatoe, avacado, and then Oatmeal. Dd likes the oatmeal better if its mixed with something besides bm.. like applesauce.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

DS started on oatmeal (as his 1st food) instead of rice because I thought that the oatmeal tastes better. He seemed to love it from the beginning (5.5 mo) and still eats some almost every day (he's 7 mo now). I mix it with EBM. We have not had any problems with constipation.

After a little while on just oatmeal, we tried sweet potatoes, which he loved. He's also had carrots and squash. If I had waited until he was 6 months to start solids, I might have started with a veggie, but he was reaching for our food at meals around 5 months and I thought that a single grain cereal would be best at less than 6 months.
    Last edited by GGKMom; November 28th, 2007 at 06:31 PM.