Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: short time at breast ?

Default short time at breast ?

My son is 5 days old today and will only latch on for 5 minutes at a time. How do I know that he is 1. Getting hind milk
    I offer other breast but he is asleep SO 2 hours later I wake him and offer other breast and then we start process all over again 2. will this affect my supply since he is not emptying my breast completly?

Also I have been pumping but only about 2 times a day-Should I pump more and if so when?

I am soooo worried it is aggrivating my anxiety attacks. I have not been able to get a weight check since I was discharged from the hospital on Thanksgiving at discharge he weighed 7 lbs 11 oz we bought a stamp scale and weighed him yesterday and he was 7 lbs 8 oz oh yeah at birth he was 8 lbs 5 oz...Wet diapers are good so far too.

Default Re: short time at breast ?

Remember that the scales could be calibrated differently, so it may not be as dramatic a difference as it seems. If you're concerned, try and get to a lactation consultant for a weigh-in before/after a feeding. That should help ease your fears, or tell you if something is wrong. In the meantime, here's my two cents!

Is he having wet/dirty diapers? How many, and how frequently? What kind of delivery did you have? Did you have an IV during your delivery? Epidural? It's very common for baby to lose weight the first several days, especially if you had a lot of fluids during delivery.

If you are offering him your breast whenever you can/whenever your LO wants it, then chances are--barring a medical problem--they're getting as much milk as they need. I have only ever fed my babies on one breast at a time, and they were both very quick nursers, 5 minutes on average, sometimes less, sometimes more. I was so worried when my first DD did this that I took her in to a lactation consultant. They weighed her "empty" so to speak then I fed her (quick, one side only) and they weighed her again to see how many ounces she'd gotten--it was plenty plenty. Both my kids gained weight like gangbusters eating this way. I currently have a 20+ lb 6 mo old who is still a super-speedy eater.

I've never offered the other breast in a single feeding unless they were starving, chugged away and still clearly needed more--or if they were nursing very frequently and I didn't have enough time to recharge.

Good luck!

here are some of the answers to your questions....
    I had a c section and lots of fluids before, I also had a spinal for pain control.

As far as diapers go, today he has had 3 wet diapers and yesterday he had 5Every time I change him he is poopy too.

I am hoping that he is just an efficient nurser and not dehydrated and sleeping because of it...But yes it is only 5 minutes at one breast per feeding. I am lucky if I get that!

Thanks for the re-assurance! It always helps to hear! His weight check is tommorow so we will keep our fingers crossed that everyone is ok!

How did the weight check go? Can you fill us in with some more details?

how often is baby feeding?
    ITs normal for newborns to need to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours.
    Has he been checked for jaundance? That can make them realy sleepy!
    LEt us know how things are going.
    Don't be afraid to contact your local leader too, she can help!

At his doc appt his weight was 7 lbs 13.5 oz. She said it looked great and wasn't concerned at all. We go back at 2 weeks and she wants him back to birth weight 8lbs 5 oz. Now I am really stressed about it.

As of today day 8-he has started to nurse a little longer. About 8 -10 minutes or so, but still wont take the other breast. So at night time the last breast I fed on is somewhat lighter and the other "neglected breast" is rock hard. And who wants to get up in the middle of the night to pump. I just hope my poor confused breast start to regulate themselves soon!

As for the breast regulation...

My baby is 7 wks, EBF, and I only give 1 breast each feeding (and he gains half a pound each week!). That said, my breast are STILL trying to even out...

I find that NOT pumping is best~ my supply was always thrown off by it, and my breast would be either engorged or completely empty (not really, of course, but "floppy") by the end of the day. Even pumping to relieve the engorged breast triggered by breast to continue to overfill at that time every day (which was, unfortunately, at 2am).

Great that you have an efficient eater- mine is done in 8 minutes. Just relax about the weight gain, and make sure that you and baby get lots of skin time- I like nursing in the bathtub (multitask!).
    Mom to Charlie~ who just took his first steps at 10 3/4 months!
    9lbs 9oz and 22" at birth
    1wk: 9lbs 9.8oz
    7wks: 13lbs 6oz and 25"!
    5 months 2 weeks: 22lbs and 30 inches
    10 months 2 weeks: 27lbs and 33 inches