Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where does your LO eat?

Default Re: Where does your LO eat?

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaUAE View Post
    There's so much great advice in that post! Thanks so much....
    You're welcome!

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Some additional background ...

We did baby led solids with DS and he really didn't eat much until he was about 8.5 or 9 mo old. Some time after that (like around 10 mo?) we decided it was time to become more consistent with meals.

For dinners - DH and I both grew up in families where having a family dinner was part of our childhood and we both have very good memories of this time. We decided that we want to have something similar with our family - so once DS was eating more and eating regularly we decided that it was time for us to start doing family dinners. Since we were doing baby led solids (DS went directly to "real food" and never did baby food) we also decided that it was important to eat meals with DS so he can learn about foods by example - we noticed that DS is more likely to try a new food if he sees mommy & daddy eating that food.

Before baby - DH and I pretty much ate all our dinners sitting on the sofa while watching TV. Until DS was eating much solids, we'd have dinner after DS went to sleep and again be on the sofa. When we decided to start having family dinners it was a big change and it took awhile to adjust to new routines. We prioritized introducing new foods to DS so he could begin to really eat the same foods that we do. We tend to cook alot of food that can be reheated quickly, and for things like tomato sauce or chili make extra and freeze it in one or two serving sized containers. Dinners do tend to be fast. DH will often finish eating more quickly so he can take DS and wash hands / brush teeth / play while I finish eating. When DS was about 12 mo I decided it was ok to start setting some limits so DS needs to wait for me to finish eating before he can nurse. When he was little I'd nurse and eat at the same time. Now that DS is older - when he lets us know he's done eating we take away his food and ask if he can please sit at the table with us and talk for a little bit. We don't expect him to last for a long time, but we want to start setting the idea of sitting and talking together and eventually asking to be excused.

DH and I both WOTH so weekday breakfasts are quick and simple - cereal, frozen waffles, or I'll reheat in the toaster oven pancakes that we made on the weekend. DH is usually gone early, so breakfast is usually just DS and me. I eat the same thing as DS so he can eat from my plate / bowl (because for some reason even if our food is identical DS likes mine better). Weekend breakfasts we'll often make things that take more time - pancakes or oatmeal. Where possible I'll let DS help with cooking - for example stirring the pancake batter.

Things like snacks or lunch - one of us will sit with DS and also eat a little bit. It could be sharing some fruit or having a couple of crackers or cookies while DS eats. DS naps after lunch - so I tend to actually have my lunch when DS asleep so I can put my feet up and have a relaxed meal.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    so I tend to actually have my lunch when DS asleep so I can put my feet up and have a relaxed meal.
    Which you totally deserve!!!

Again, thanks for the great info! You are my go-to with BLS and everything having to do with food and eating...what would I do without you?
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

boosterseat/highchair thing, or daddy's lap
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

We usually put Wayne in his high chair unless he is having tantrums. In that case he usually stays on my lap and I TRY to put food in his mouth.
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

Highchair.

Highchair at the "table"

If I'm at a big gathering (like at for Thanksgiving) we have her high chair that just snaps to a regular chair. Otherwise she eats in the living room. Either free-eating w/ dry snacks, or if I'm feeding her then she pulls up right next to me and I feed her.
    Andrea, wife to Tim, mama to Lydia, born 5 December '06 (weaned at 28 months, ) Benjamin Luke born at home 5 days late on 10/10/09

my Blog . . my Play Food

I'm just introducing her to solids.

I tried feeding her in my lap but that's not quite good because she keeps pushing backwards instead of sitting up.

I've found her bumbo on the couch next to me with a towel under it works wonders. I just watch and make sure she doesn't lean sideways so she doesn't accidentally topple off the couch.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Camryn and Carson eat in their high chairs at the table with us and Caitlyn sits on my lap. We haven't yet gotten Caitlyn a high chair since she just started eating solids. I have no idea where the heck we are going to put a third high chair GOod thing my lap works just as well (at least for now )
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07