Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where does your LO eat?

Default Re: Where does your LO eat?

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    DS is 16 mo and sits in a booster seat that has a safety belt and eats off the table like the rest of us with his own plate and fork or spoon. We don't use the tray that came with the booster seat. We moved DS to the booster seat when he was about 13 mo.
    DS is 10 mo and sits in a booster that buckles him in without the tray. We're workng on him eatng off his plate w/o him throwing it on the floor.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

We use a highchair.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

DS eats in his highchair.

My son (18 months) eats in the high chair mostly, but sometimes he eats on the floor. I try to avoid letting him walk around with his snacks but sometimes it can't be avoided.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

We try for the highchair. But he likes to toss his food on the floor, ask to get down and then eat it off the floor. Special seasoning, I guess!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

DS used to have his meals in the high chair, but around 8mths, he could no longer sit still in there for long (he'll throw tantrums and refuses to eat), so now he eats everywhere, in living room, while crawling around the house with me chasing after him with a spoon in my hand, in a sling etc. I know Im teaching him bad habit, but since he's a small eater and having weight issue, all I want to do now is to get him to EAT!! I think I'll just have to teach him good manners "later" .

Im very curious how other people manage to get their kids to sit (and stay) in the high chair throughout a meal......

Quote Originally Posted by selina21 View Post
    Im very curious how other people manage to get their kids to sit (and stay) in the high chair throughout a meal......
    We always eat with DS so he's learning the social part of meals.

Early on - if DS started dropping food, we'd have a hand out to catch the food before it dropped and we'd consistently say "we don't throw (or drop) food - if you are done with that please give it to mommy (or daddy)" and then thank & praise DS for handing us food instead of dropping it. DS caught on very quickly and if there is something he doesn't like or something like a fruit skin that is hard to eat he takes it out of his mouth and hands it to us or puts it on his placemat. No yelling, no saying "no", no stress - just lots of consistent positive reinforcement of the "good" behavior.

We have meals & snacks at consistent times and always at the table. So DS knows that this is the place for eating and the only place (unless we're out of the house).

One of DS first words was "done". When he says "done" the meal is over and we let him down from the table.

We did baby led solids with DS - so he had alot of control over meals from the very beginning. We let him set the pace of what he wants to eat and how much. We offer healthy options and he always has the option of eating off of our plates as well.

Once DS starts playing rather than eating the meal is done. If he drops things on purpose they stay on the floor and he doesn't get them back.

We model the behaviors that we expect DS to have at meals. We talk to eachother about the day and say "please" and "thank you" alot.

DS has always sat at the table with us and not separately at a high chair - which I personally think helped alot since he wants to do things just like mommy & daddy and this makes it easier to do that.

And often - DH will finish eating sooner and take DS to go wash hands & brush teeth and play so I can finish my meal uninterrupted. DS needs to wait for me to be done eating to nurse. I can show him my plate and say "mommy is still eating" and he gets it.

This all sounds strict but it's really not. Our meals are fun and we have a good time. We just set specific expectations and are consistent.

Oh - and with the baby led solids, DS didn't really start eating until about 8.5 mo. We started doing 3 meals a day plus snacks at about 9 or 10 mo. I think we started with table manners around 10 mo and it took probably about a month of being patient and consistent for things to start clicking.

just some things that have worked for us
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

He sits where ever I am closest to. If I am in the kitchen, we do the highchair - if I am in the living room, he eats on the coffee table with me. We dont have an offical dining table so we all eat somewhere near the kitchen. usually DH and I eat at separate times because one of us takes 'charge' of DS2 so he usually is eating dinner while I'm cooking it. then playing while we're eating... snacks are wherever!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

We always eat with DS so he's learning the social part of meals. ......
    Im having a tough time fuguring out which smiley I want to put here, so I'll just put all that came to mind while reading your post.

(and where's the green with envy smiley??)

I think the problem at my home is that
    1) there's usually only me and DS around so the dining table is hardly used
    2) I dont even eat on schedule, I normally just eat whenever DS is sleeping

So most of the time DS eats alone, and I guess he doesnt understand the concept of eating at the table. I do notice that whenever DH is home I'll gather all 3 of us around the table for breakfast, this is the only time DS would sit nicely in his chair. But then again, breakfasts dont last more than 10 minutes around here. DH is always rushing out the door in a hurry...

We always eat with DS so he's learning the social part of meals.

Early on - if DS started dropping food, we'd have a hand out to catch the food before it dropped and we'd consistently say "we don't throw (or drop) food - if you are done with that please give it to mommy (or daddy)" and then thank & praise DS for handing us food instead of dropping it. DS caught on very quickly and if there is something he doesn't like or something like a fruit skin that is hard to eat he takes it out of his mouth and hands it to us or puts it on his placemat. No yelling, no saying "no", no stress - just lots of consistent positive reinforcement of the "good" behavior.

We have meals & snacks at consistent times and always at the table. So DS knows that this is the place for eating and the only place (unless we're out of the house).

One of DS first words was "done". When he says "done" the meal is over and we let him down from the table.

We did baby led solids with DS - so he had alot of control over meals from the very beginning. We let him set the pace of what he wants to eat and how much. We offer healthy options and he always has the option of eating off of our plates as well.

Once DS starts playing rather than eating the meal is done. If he drops things on purpose they stay on the floor and he doesn't get them back.

We model the behaviors that we expect DS to have at meals. We talk to eachother about the day and say "please" and "thank you" alot.

DS has always sat at the table with us and not separately at a high chair - which I personally think helped alot since he wants to do things just like mommy & daddy and this makes it easier to do that.

And often - DH will finish eating sooner and take DS to go wash hands & brush teeth and play so I can finish my meal uninterrupted. DS needs to wait for me to be done eating to nurse. I can show him my plate and say "mommy is still eating" and he gets it.

This all sounds strict but it's really not. Our meals are fun and we have a good time. We just set specific expectations and are consistent.

Oh - and with the baby led solids, DS didn't really start eating until about 8.5 mo. We started doing 3 meals a day plus snacks at about 9 or 10 mo. I think we started with table manners around 10 mo and it took probably about a month of being patient and consistent for things to start clicking.

There's so much great advice in that post! Thanks so much....

We've just started to put DS in a seat that mounts to the table. He also sits in a high chair if we have to be in the kitchen. At least once a day he eats while in his walker - it has a tray and he likes to scoot around while eating. Is this dangerous? I know people don't really use them in the U.S. anymore. It's safe in our apt because the doors in the front of the apt - including the one that leads to the entryway and thus outside - have threshholds that prevent DS from going into those areas. He's not in it very much during the day - just if we need to put him down and have him follow us while we do something.

He also sits in our laps sometimes.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky