Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chicken broth?

Default Re: chicken broth?

Quote Originally Posted by Kateliza View Post
    I like the idea of being able to freeze it. How long can I freeze it, do you know?

Do you have an easy way to make chicken broth? The one caldangel gave me is a very good one, but I can't cook that all the time. Is there any way that takes like one or 2 hours?

Thanks
    You can make this in less time...I just like the longer period because it gets more flavor. But here is the recipe that started me onto my own "concoction". It still takes about 2 1/2 hours...

Take a stock pot (a deep soup pot) and add:
    2-1/2 pounds bony chicken pieces
    2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into chunks
    2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
    2 medium onions, quartered
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    8 to 10 whole peppercorns
    2 quarts cold water

Place all ingredients in pot. Slowly bring to a boil; reduce heat. Skim foam. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
    Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones. Discard bones; save meat for another use. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Skim fat from surface.

Quote Originally Posted by caldangel View Post
    Just a regular Turkey Baster. You can get them from just about anywhere.

Hope that helps!
    I guess I can't picture how to use the baster. I've never used that before. How do you use it? Sorry for the silly question.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kateliza View Post
    I guess I can't picture how to use the baster. I've never used that before. How do you use it? Sorry for the silly question.

Thanks
    Here's a Turkey Baster.

You put the smaller end into the broth, squeeze the bulb and it will suck up the juice. You then move the baster over the chicken and squeeze the bulb again, squeezing out the juice over the chicken (or whatever you are basting). It helps keep the parts you are basting from drying out.

Thank you SO MUCH, CALDANGEL. It's clear now. (