Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chicken broth?

Default chicken broth?

I make puree for my son. Can I use chicken broth, swanson brand? he is 7 months, no teeth yet. He can standup.

thanks

Default Re: chicken broth?

I would say go ahead- but read the ingredients on the side of the package first! A lot of packaged foods are full of things like MSG, preservatives, and other ingredients that you might not want to put in your baby's mouth.

would swanson appropriate? My son loves it when I use this chicken broth. If I just cook rice, potato, carrot, chicken meat with jus a little salt (without swanson chicken broth), he refuses to eat.

thanks

MSG is highly salty and addictive (which is why so many of our foods contain MSG). My son loved when I bought whole chickens and then cooked them over 12 hours...using only 2 cups of water. The natural broth gets very flavorful and you can season to taste afterwards. When the chicken is done cooking, you shred it, puree it and use some of the broth to make the consistency you need.

I would strongly advise against store bought broth. They are horrible for you. If you want to use store bought broth, I would advise looking into organic, naturally seasoned broth (using herbs/veggie/chicken).

MSG does terrible things to an adults body, but it can be worse for a child who is still growing.

Could you please let me know step by step how you cook the chicken? I don't mind cooking for him. With 2 cups of water, I am afraid it will dry up.

Thanks

I have a large roaster oven. I go buy 2 whole chickens (take out the insides...they're usually either cleaned out for you--no gizzards--or they are bagged in plastic) and place them in the roaster oven. I pour 2 cups of water onto the bottom of the oven. Sprinkle garlic powder (not salt), onion powder, parsley, and pepper onto the chicken. Set the Roaster Oven to 200 degrees. Every hour or so, take a baster and baste the chickens. As the chicken cooks, you'll notice that the water goes from a clear to a yellow color. Keep basting the chickens every hour or so...the tops will brown (you can even carefully flip the chickens 1/2 way through the cook time). I start my chickens around 5am (but I'm up that early)...so the broth is done around 5pm and it gives me plenty of time to make some chicken for him.

Ok...so the chickens are ready when the chickens are falling apart. Carefully scoop them out of the broth, then with a slotted spoon, make sure that all bones, etc are out of the broth. I peel the chicken meat from the bones, put some meat and broth aside and the rest goes back into the broth. I add 6 cups of organic broth to that, 1 bag of frozen organic carrots, 1 bag of frozen organic peas, 1 bag of frozen organic green beans, and 1 bag of frozen organic corn. Season to taste after that cooks for 1 hour.

Take the chicken meat and the broth and puree. You can even take the completed chicken soup and puree it all together (as long as you know that everything in it is ok for your son). My son LOVED this...now he eats the regular soup...but he used to get so excited when I was making this. He would stand around me in the kitchen and clap his hands when he saw it was ready.

I gave you a chicken soup recipe (for you) and you can use that broth and meat for your son. If you have any questions, let me know!!

This just made me hungry.

The NY Times had this article rating commercial chicken broths. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A96F958260

The author says that Swanson Natural Goodness Fat Free Chicken Broth is MSG-free. Of course, that doesn't mean it's sugar-free or low in sodium!

If you decide to make home-made broth, good for you! It's really easy, and you can freeze it in ice cube trays or baby food jars (leave a little space at the top so the expanding ice doesn't shatter the glass) so that you have just the right amount to cook baby food with.

caldangel,

Your recipe looks so good. I will buy the roaster over this weekend and try it out sometimes. I am glad that you used the roaster oven, because my big oven is broken. I will go and get the roaster oven this weekend.

I have a couple of questions:
    1) "Every hour or so, take a baster and baste the chickens" - I searched yahoo for baster, and it showed me something like the air blower. What do I baste the chicken with?

2) For seasoning, what do you use? Salt?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    The NY Times had this article rating commercial chicken broths. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A96F958260

If you decide to make home-made broth, good for you! It's really easy, and you can freeze it in ice cube trays or baby food jars (leave a little space at the top so the expanding ice doesn't shatter the glass) so that you have just the right amount to cook baby food with.
    I like the idea of being able to freeze it. How long can I freeze it, do you know?

Do you have an easy way to make chicken broth? The one caldangel gave me is a very good one, but I can't cook that all the time. Is there any way that takes like one or 2 hours?

Thanks

Just a regular Turkey Baster. You can get them from just about anywhere.

For seasoning, I do add a bit of salt...but we use Himalayan Salt. We do not order from this site (but it gives info on why it's good for you)...you can find Himalayan Salt at most Health Food Stores, or search for a more inexpensive place to buy online.

Hope that helps!