Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Benadryl for baby's cough?

Default Re: Benadryl for baby's cough?

My kids are older now (4 and 7), but the nurse at our pedi's office said new research indicates that antihistamines are the best treatment for a cough/cold. My personal opinion is that if they're safe, they're worth taking, because even if all they do is help sedate the child, at least s/he is getting a good night's sleep. I always used to prop my kids up on pillows or sleep w/ them on my chest in the rocking chair so the mucus would be able to drain. And when my girls were babies, I would sometimes see the dr every couple of days when they had respiratory trouble because a cold can turn into something worse in a very short amount of time. The only other thing I'd say is that if someone's taking a long-acting antihistamine, s/he should not also take Benadryl. Good luck, and I hope you can take comfort in the fact that this too shall pass!

Thanks so much; I really appreciate all the feedback! We have done a few nights now with the benadryl. The first two nights he did sleep better than usual, only up once (when he needed me to get back to sleep) each night, except for a few other spells of coughing when he got himself back to sleep. last night he was back to his usual 2x needing me/nursing. We'll see how tonight goes. He is really fighting and getting very upset at taking the benadryl - he never fights things like mylicon or infant tylenol, so either this tastes worse or the more liquidy texture doesn't seem quite right to him. The cough is better, still there, though. I've got a pediatric stethescope and have been listening to his breathing so am trying to keep a close ear on that! It is so hard when they are sick, even when it's something relatively minor... and yes; it's always good to be reminded that this too shall pass. Thanks again, everyone. It's so helpful to get all this input!
    Jsmom

I'm happy to hear your son is getting better!

Thanks, Mami_Kathy!

Well... we thought J was getting better, but last night wasn't great. He was up alot and felt kind of warm... this morning his breathing didn't sound quite right to me and he had a temp of 101, so back to the pediatrician.... She says she thinks we caught it before it became full-on pneumonia, but J is on antibiotics and hopefully we'll see a good turn around w/in 48 hours!! Poor little guy (who is still trying to be in such a happy mood....).....
    Update.....3 hours after first dose of antibiotic, J already has horribly watery stool... ugh. poor thing!! He likes yogurt so he's going to be getting alot of that....
    Jsmom
    Last edited by jsmom; June 16th, 2006 at 02:09 PM.

Good catch, mom! My son ended up with a very sudden-onset case of pneumonia at around the same age. We were actually in the hospital overnight with it. I was so grateful to still be nursing, because it kept him hydrated and calm, and he bounced back quickly. Hope J does the same -- keep us posted.

--Rebecca

I was afraid of that! Poor guy and poor mommy, Did she give any breathing treatments? You know Thomas just recovered from pneumonia himself. Very good call to go back to the ped. You know now that I think about it, Thomas also was sleeping more when he was sick, like you said J was.... Our ped said that was a bad sign that he was really sick.... After he started to get better she said more sleep was ok but in the initial phase before the antibiotics it was no so good. Please try to update through the weekend!

I hope your LO has a fast recovery, my blessings to him! Good job mama keeping a close eye on him!

Brittan, I'm glad Thomas is doing better!

Thanks!