Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benadryl for baby's cough?

Default Benadryl for baby's cough?

Took J to pediatrician on Friday since he now has the awful cough that I had for the previous week or two. I was surprised that the doc suggested benadryl. The rationale is that it can dry up mucous, etc. and that it's good, in general, for congestion. Cough meds, supposedly, are not given to kids younger than 3, according to some reading I've done (?). DS is 14.5 months.

Anyone out there use benadryl for this purpose? I've used it with him when he had an allergy flare, but hadn't for this.

We're doing lots of time in a steam-filled bathroom and are sleeping with a vaporizer.... but benadryl?? Anyone??
    thanks mommies!!
    Jsmom

Default Re: Benadryl for baby's cough?

Hi Linda,
    I have used Thomas' zyrtec for this purpose before, but more for a lot of congestion, like a runny nose etc.. Is he feeling better today?

Hi Brittan, Thanks for the response! I think the benadryl has helped the congestion some. He made it through the night much better with it - heck; he only woke up (woke up needing me, that is) once instead of his usual 2-3. He decided to be awake in his crib after I was up nursing him at 4:30am, but he was happy and singing on and off between dozing, until he was up 'for real' at 7am. His mood is good; his fever is pretty normal today and he is eating and playing. I'm worried about the cough/congestion, but mostly because I'm being a worried momma, not because I think it's getting worse. We're still doing lots of sessions playing in the hot, shower-running-steamy bathroom with him, and I continue to listen to his chest and breathing! He is coughing from time to time in his sleep, poor little guy... If he isn't doing better in another day or so, I'm taking him back for another pediatrican visit. Thankfully they don't make me feel bad for bringing him in when they really don't think it's totally necessary.....-linda

Hey JSmom, I was looking into Benadryl and Bf info a few weeks ago and when you mentioned that the doctors prescribed to dry out mucous I remember something I read. Antihistamines (Benadryl) are used in many products for allergy, colds, and coughs, and induce sleep, although their use for colds is not justified.

One of the peds also told me same info you got about cough medicine, they really don't want to prescribe it if they're too young. She told me that it's better to let them cough it out.

Hope your LO feels better!

Thanks, Mami_kathy. I know benadryl is considered to be "as safe as it gets" and probably won't hurt, and lots of folks do use it for colds, but like you, I had heard that it's best saved for allergies and not for common cold stuffs. I went back and forth on this for about 36 hours; DH finally convinced me to give it a try since J was pretty congested. I tend to agree that coughing is the body's mechanism for getting stuff up and out, so thickening/drying out the mucous not the way to go! Ack! I hate it when both sides of the coin can be argued! That's tough on a geek like me!
    J, of course, is being a trooper. This little guy just seeks reasons to laugh, giggle and be in a good mood. How on earth we got so blessed, I'll never know.
    thanks for the input. much appreciated.
    jsmom

You know something that really helped my daughter get the mucous out, a nebulizer with saline solution and albuterol (you can use saline solution only). I used that on myself when I'm really stuffed up. I've albuterol b/c my DD has had two mild asthma attacks, so I use it as at last result.

Great; I'll keep that in mind. I've got a fresh sterile saline at home for J....just to be ready! Thanks again!!
    Jsmom

Antihistamines (Benadryl) are used in many products for allergy, colds, and coughs, and induce sleep, although their use for colds is not justified.
    Hey, I got this line from a book, so the injustified part didn't come from me. I'm not that rude .

Exclamation Re: Benadryl for baby's cough?

Well, Benadryl is generally considered to be "safe", but it does cause drowsyness. probably if he slept better than usual, its because he was a bit "drunk" on Benadryl. (I have to sheepishly admit that once as a young teenager some friends and me drank a large bottle of the stuff, and in large doses, it does work )
    I know it can be really tough to get through the times when our babies are sick, but it is a natural part of life and its also the way that our kids develop their immune systems.

For a simple cough without any serious infection or complications, it really can be best to ride it out and give the baby's own immune system a chance to deal with it.
    When my dd had a lung infection (a little more than 'just a cold') at the age of 12 - 13 months, the pediatritian we saw (in Nicaragua) showed me how to pat the baby's lungs to help loosen and expell the mucus.
    Just hold one hand in a "cup", and tap it firmly and rhythmically all over the baby's chest. not hard, just enough to make a hollow sound. all over the ribcage, back, sides and front.
    it really does help the baby to cough effectively and get some of the mucus out.

for runny noses, the braver of mothers can try what I saw many mothers doing in the traditional cultures of Africa, Asia and Latin America - put your hand over the baby's mouth to cover it, put your mouth over baby's nose and SUCK! yes, really. Be really careful to spit and rinse afterwards. I know, its quite gross at first, but it really works. (its also what they, or the midwife does to clear the baby's air passages at birth, rather than use the little blue suction bulb. oh, on that thought, I guess you could just get one of those little blue bulbs to do this as well )
    Anyway, I did this quite a few times, and when dd was really congested and unable to breate through her nose, it was a miracle worker.

Hi my baby is only six months old and already has had two URI. He has always been a congested little guy. We have been sleeping with a cool air humidifier since 6 wks and we have always put him to sleep at an angle. They gave me his 1st can of albuterol at 3months. They wouldnt give me any because he was too young. Well this weekend when he broke out in hives they gave me some! He went into the hospital with a terrible cough and it sound like he had rocks in his chest and it literally vanished! So it definately seems to work. They wouldnt give me any because he was too young but it was a positive "side effect". So I would gor for it if the doctor gave you the green light!